36gooseneck with light 10k dexter axles brake prob

sotxbill

ok its a 36 foot gooseneck that weighs about 7k empty.

its got two dexter 10k axles with dual tires.
electric brakes are the 12 inch brakes and they draw about 10 amps full on. wire is good. but..

you can NOT even fill them slow down a little bit.. put all new magnets on them , soldered all the connections. Adjusted shoes so that they almost drag.

is there something about the light 10k axles that I dont know? I can coast down the road and apply full brakes on the controller and you feel NO slowing. 10 amps draw on the circuit. whats up??

It almost sounds like the axles are backwards. It's not unusual for something to be installed backward. Someone came into the shop once and said he just had his chain saw chain sharpened, and it wouldn't cut. He had it on backward. I put it on the right way and showed him that it cut. Someone bought a new self propelled Lawn Boy lawn mower right out of the box. The self propelled wouldn't work. He brought it back a couple times, then we quit blaming the customer and called the factory, and they sent a new drive assembly. I installed it, and the self propelled still wouldn't work. After more telephone calls to the factory they said to give him a new mower. The new mower worked perfect. Anyway, to make a short story long, Thge dealer sent me to a factory seminar for Lawn Boy a few months later. The factory had a new service manager, and he had the returned lawn mower and the returned drive assembly, and told everyone about how Lawn Boy had a quality problem. I was able to add some to the lecture.

Backing plate and brake must be installed with the magnet DOWN. This may help. I'd figure 4 brakes at max voltage (output) would pull more than 2.5A each.

CT

Have you had the brake shoes off there is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe.Also be sure the magnet arm is free to swing.Good luck.

The past few weeks I have become a Dexter expert. 10amp is all I got. I had to tear my hubs back down and turn the drums. Those mags have got to have a perfect surface to work. Dexter calls for 12 ga wire. Most just have 16ga so 10 is about all you will get.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back