38 A with water pump

scarl

I just bought 2 JD unstyled A"s. One is a 37 and the other is a 38 according to the serial numbers. I noticed that the 38 has a water pump. Did someone add this on and was that common practice back in the day?

Yes I have a 46 b without one and a 51 g is in the shop without one I’m not sure when it was added but I assume into the number series

The unstyled A did not come from factory with a water-pump.. But there was a short line company that made a water pump kit for this tractor.. The late styled A and B tractors came factory with a water pump..

Did they skip the G then or just at the very end I guess there were a couple years left till 53. That seems like a crazy thing to do I know it didn’t sell as well as the other two but boy you would think the big one would make common sense to do while you are at it they aren’t that different.

Those add-on water pumps were made by or called a Johnson water pump. Common practice if the tractor was fitted with a Cornpicker.

I bought an early 52 A with a power block that had a short line manufacturers water pump on it. I'm thinking it was tractor supply who was selling those power blocks at this time period. It leaked badly and I was unable to come up with any parts to fix it. I ended up converting it to a very late A style Deere water pump. Rebuilt Deere pump, different lower radiator tank, and reworked the cross member to make it fit. I guess it's possible whoever was supply those early water pumps for the power blocks made one or someone adapted one to fit a 1938A.
JOHN

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back