380CK injector pump

Dave85

I should be picking up a tractor soon that I've inherited from my Grandpa. It's a Case 380CK. He said, before he died, that it needed fuel injector pump repair. I was wondering if the fuel injection pump is the same as on the David Brown 885. I can find pumps easier when I search for the DB. I would rather buy one before I go to get it so I can replace it and drive it on the trailer or to the rollback. Also, I'm afraid of sending it off to be rebuilt and losing it.

I would hope Diesel Tech would weigh in . Your cost for a rebuild would outweigh additional costs going fwd. You have a free tractor . Use that
to your advantage! It is easy to throw money at a tractor. Don't ask me how I know this CM

When did engine last run? What does the original have wrong that it needs repair? Probably cost less in the long run to repair what you have. UPS and USPS have worked
well for me returning repaired pumps for years.

(quoted from post at 17:22:50 10/29/20) When did engine last run? What does the original have wrong that it needs repair? Probably cost less in the long run to repair what you have. UPS and USPS have worked
well for me returning repaired pumps for years.

It ran about a week ago. My cousin started it. It runs at full throttle only I was told. It dies when they try to slow it down. I also inherited a 16 foot trailer, but it needs work. I will probably try to get a towing company to tow the tractor to my house unless the trailer is in better shape than I expect.

(quoted from post at 15:02:51 10/29/20) I should be picking up a tractor soon that I've inherited from my Grandpa. It's a Case 380CK. He said, before he died, that it needed fuel injector pump repair. I was wondering if the fuel injection pump is the same as on the David Brown 885. I can find pumps easier when I search for the DB. I would rather buy one before I go to get it so I can replace it and drive it on the trailer or to the rollback. Also, I'm afraid of sending it off to be rebuilt and losing it.

Does anyone know if the two pumps are the same? Would like to know there are options before I put this one in the mail. Thanks.

(quoted from post at 10:57:12 10/31/20)
(quoted from post at 15:02:51 10/29/20) I should be picking up a tractor soon that I've inherited from my Grandpa. It's a Case 380CK. He said, before he died, that it needed fuel injector pump repair. I was wondering if the fuel injection pump is the same as on the David Brown 885. I can find pumps easier when I search for the DB. I would rather buy one before I go to get it so I can replace it and drive it on the trailer or to the rollback. Also, I'm afraid of sending it off to be rebuilt and losing it.

Does anyone know if the two pumps are the same? Would like to know there are options before I put this one in the mail. Thanks.

I don't know if they are the same, so can't answer that question. They might physically look the same but be calibrated differently. Having yours rebuilt is a certain way to know it fits and is right for your tractor.

As for moving it home; I will say I would expect a roll back would winch it on and off, not drive it so not running shouldn't be a show stopper with a rollback. Likewise I have pulled (winch, com-a-long, snatch block and cable using another vehicle) to load dead cars, trucks, tractors and equipment on to various trailers. I would get it moved and then send the pump for repair.

If you are afraid to send it to Dieseltech (I wouldn't be - insure it if that helps), what is you general location? Someone may know of a reliable pump shop near you that you can physically take it to. Who knows you might be near Dieseltech, or one of the other pump guys on here.

Ok, thanks. I figured if the engine was the same the pump would be. Just not a ton of info out there. Im sure I will still send it out, but it gives me a little peace of mind that there are replacements available.

Thanks. Im in Birmingham Alabama. Ill know more about what I need to do when I get it home. Still in the figuring out stage. Its parked in an awkward place and it has a fork attachment that is on the ground but Im sure its possible to get on a rollback one way or another. Just wanna make it as easy as possible.

Started it on starting fluid and got the front lift up off the ground. It never ran on it's own, just on spray. Should have a roll back out there tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it home and taking a better look at it.

Ive got it home now. Trying to remove the fuel injector pump. Got it all undone except for one fuel line at the base. When i turn the nut it is starting to twist the line. Ive stopped right there. Ive been spraying it with wd40 and moving the nut back and forth a little each day. Not sure, but Im guessing if I had to I could make a new line unless theres some other complication Im not aware of.

mvphoto65145.jpg

This is the problem child.

No, Ive just been turning the big nut. Wasnt sure what the smaller nut between the big nut and pump body was for. All the other fittings were just a nut with the line going through it. At first I assumed this one was the same. Im starting to realize now that something is different about this one.

Some heat on that nut will help(propane torch). The line will rust and bind in the nut, the heat will free it. Hold the fitting and turn the nut back and forth gently until you feel the line come free. Making a new line will be problematic as the fittings are nothing you will find in common use.

Well I took your advice, but I think I had already weakened the metal line a bit too much. I let my wrench slip and broke the line. I guess this is the price Ill have to pay for my lack of knowledge/experience on this project. As a side note, I have the fitting in my vice now and still cannot free it. Have tried a bit of heat and some liquid wrench. Had been soaking it with wd40 all week already. As I was taking the pump off I couldnt help but notice that the throttle cable would pull the cable in, but not out. Couple that with the fact that its got a metal fuel tank with probably old fuel and Im beginning to wonder if Grandpa May have been wrong about this pump being bad in the first place. I think Im going to take a step back, fix the mangled fuel line, throttle cable, new diesel fuel in tank and see if the original symptoms disappear. I guess this is going to be a long process.

(quoted from post at 17:58:18 11/24/20) Finally got the pieces loose
mvphoto65472.jpg
m thinking about making this substitution. My biggest concern is that I dont know how much pressure this line holds and I know I cant torque the new fitting as much as the old one. So maybe it will leak. Ill get a flare tool and try it. Ive ordered an in-line pressure fitting to tie it back in to the original line on the other end. If I get the linkage right and good fuel going to the pump I can at least rule out those two variables and feel more confident that its an injection pump issue.
mvphoto65975.jpg

If you follow that line, I think you will find that is the excess fuel return line to the tank and is low pressure. Do not put an inverted flare fitting in to that hole. The fitting you removed looks like it seals to the pump with a seal washer or O-ring under the hex. What did you remove from that spot? The threads and seating arrangement are not right for an inverted flare, you will likely damage the internal threads of the pump and cost you even more for repair. Get the right fitting, contact one of the pump guys on here or visit a pump shop. If I had to make a temporary, crude fix I would look at brazing (on the bench) a stub of tubing into the side of the fitting the nut/line was, and connecting that stub to the existing line with a piece of rubber fuel line and clamps.
JMHO

I'd repair it with the return fitting like MF/Perkins CAV pumps use, I have extra on hand since I repair and calibrate pumps. Then a steel brake line, line nut, and
rubber grommet will seal fine. That line has less than 10 PSI, Perkins use either 1/4 or 5/16 steel line. Perkins switched from brass line sleeves to grommets seal with
less nut tension, and line breakage due to vibration is reduced too.

Just wanted to update. I got the pump back from diesel tech. Tractor is now running well. It does take a short burst of starting fluid to start, but Im not entirely certain that Ive burned through all the old fuel and the battery is about a hundred years old too. So thanks to diesel tech its made a huge leap forward and Ill keep working on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back