550Doug
Member
- Location
- Southern Ontario
True, but I think it has been using NON metallic materials until recently.Today's technology emerging today. 3D metal printing has been in the works for at least a decade.
True, but I think it has been using NON metallic materials until recently.
There are production applications for a variety of printed metal components they include engineering components that cannot be made by normal fabrication tech. including closed spaces with no seams and no openings, as well as complex internal shapes in material that can't be shaped from the outside. Complex prototypes can be made for testing and efficacy in use. These may be way more expensive than a molded metal part, but pennies on the dollar compared to creating molds and tooling to make a prototype. JimAs noted, 3D *metal* printing has been in the works in various stages including production use for at least a decade. Laser sintered 3D printing of metalic powder has been in use quite a while. Other processes including 3D printing via wire feed welding like MIG has also been in the works.
Just curious what program you used for modeling?I had some bushings 3D printed out of a bronze filament by a 3D printing place in a neighbouring town. They were to replace some reel bearings on an Allis 442 square baler that were completely worn out. They were an unusual, spherical shape and the cost to print was substantially less than getting new brass ones machined (as long as I did the CAD modelling myself). They're holding up reasonably well (though I don't use that baler for much). The only problem was I did the modelling in a rush and transposed some numbers: Instead of giving the I.D. 8 thou clearance around the shaft (assuming I could always ream them out a little if they printed a little undersize) I accidentally gave them 80 thou clearance. So they were a little sloppy right from the get-go. But still much better than the old brass-ones, which were worn pretty much into non-existence.
My degree is in mechanical engineering, and I work as a designer for a large equipment company, but I wouldn't let that phase you at all: Modern 3D CAD software is very easy and user-friendly. Download a free 3D modeling software (there are several good ones), buy yourself a short & simple teach-yourself guide, and have fun learning. After a day spent fooling around you'll know everything you need to, and be just as capable as most of the people I work with.Just curious what program you used for modeling?
Are you of an engineering background? Or, could the average joe figure it out?
Thanks for the response.My degree is in mechanical engineering, and I work as a designer for a large equipment company, but I wouldn't let that phase you at all: Modern 3D CAD software is very easy and user-friendly. Download a free 3D modeling software (there are several good ones), buy yourself a short & simple teach-yourself guide, and have fun learning. After a day spent fooling around you'll know everything you need to, and be just as capable as most of the people I work with.
When I applied for my current job I lied a touch on my resume: saying I had loads of experience with the CAD software they use (Inventor). In reality I had almost no experience. When I was offered the job I thought, 'Oh dear, I better learn this pronto'. I downloaded a free trial version, bought myself a $20 teach-yourself guide off Amazon, spent a weekend in the library learning it, and when I started work I was pretty much as good as anyone else there. It certainly helped to have other CAD and drafting experience, but for the purposes of making parts for farm equipment even that wouldn't be necessary.
(Not sure if I should have admitted I lied to get my current job as a few of my coworkers are on this forum. But oh well...)
I started with a mainframe/work station based program called Anvil in 1988 then Autocad 1.2 on early PC desktops. I have been operating and instructing engineering students in these and Ustation, Creo, and Inventor among others. The instruction thus involved thousands of totally inexperienced university students. With 40+ years doing this It is clearly possible to become operational doing it. I applaud your effort. JimMy degree is in mechanical engineering, and I work as a designer for a large equipment company, but I wouldn't let that phase you at all: Modern 3D CAD software is very easy and user-friendly. Download a free 3D modeling software (there are several good ones), buy yourself a short & simple teach-yourself guide, and have fun learning. After a day spent fooling around you'll know everything you need to, and be just as capable as most of the people I work with.
When I applied for my current job I lied a touch on my resume: saying I had loads of experience with the CAD software they use (Inventor). In reality I had almost no experience. When I was offered the job I thought, 'Oh dear, I better learn this pronto'. I downloaded a free trial version, bought myself a $20 teach-yourself guide off Amazon, spent a weekend in the library learning it, and when I started work I was pretty much as good as anyone else there. It certainly helped to have other CAD and drafting experience, but for the purposes of making parts for farm equipment even that wouldn't be necessary.
(Not sure if I should have admitted I lied to get my current job as a few of my coworkers are on this forum. But oh well...)
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy