4.00x36 hay rake tire

Does anyone know where I can get a 4.00x36 tire that isnt worth more than the entire rake? A used piece of junk would be fine as long as it hold the tube. If not does anybody have a line on a steel wheel that would fit? I guess I could run with out a tire but I hate to ruin a good rim. Thanks for any info.
cvphoto84808.jpg

I have a New Idea rake that uses the same size tire. I found 6.50x36 tires that fit the old Ontario grain drills cheap and put on mine although they are tough to get on because they are fat compared to the rim. Miller has the correct tires but as you mention a set is way more than the rake is worth. Around here there are many of the same new Idea rakes that were originally on steel that I could probably have used a steel wheel from but the rake sure is quite on rubber. What brand is your rake - maybe steel wheels around from older models.

I once priced them for a rake I have like that one you have and when I did it was $400 for a tire and that was 36 years ago. I know how long because I asked the year my daughter was born and she is 36. I have most of one of those rakes and used it for years with bad tires. I fill them with foam. I used it till a gear in the gear box broke in half

Hi old. The only place I could find one is Miller $290 for the tire and $86 for the tube so I guess at least the prices havent changed much in 36 years! The tire on the left is pretty good yet the one on the right has no sidewall left. What kind of foam do you use? I might be able to fill it and strap the tire to the rim. The rake works fine if I can keep wheels under it.

Miller is the only place I could find that lists that size. $290 per tire $86 for the tube. Im sure there arent many people still looking for that size tire but its more than I want to spend for sure.

Ya, I needed a 3.50x12 tail wheel tire for a plow and they wanted $120 for it. A local tire store had a 4x12 three rib front tractor tire for $54. It was good enough for who it's for at that much difference.

I hear ya. Anything 36 inch probably isnt going to be easy to find. I might just put a steel band around the rim and bolt whats left of the tire to it.

I guess it will depend on the side wall. the rubber is pretty well gone. If it wont hold foam I might just put a metal band around the rim and bolt the tread to it.

Would a dirt bike of some sort have a tire that big. Could weld the rim onto your rim. Might be more money than its worth

The biggest tire I ever saw on a dirt bike was a 21 inch tire. Been around and legal on motorcycles for 51 years now and even did some motocross racing back when I was younger

Why not just use an old drill wheel and by cutting the spokes so you could lap them you would not have to remove the tire to do it. Or just weld an old tractor rim to the side of it that has the same outside diameter to it. Would be eider but you already said as long as it works.

Where are you located? I had a working rake like that that I sold to an Amish man along with a parts rake on steel. He was planning to put the steel wheels on the good rake. I don't know if he did or what he might have done with the other wheels and tires.

Now that you mention that, my uncle had a steel wheeled rake and he cut the tread off a pair of tractor tires and bolted them to the steel rims.

Thats the direction I think Im going. If it was some sort of collectors piece thats one thing, but I do t think anybody is going to be beating down my door to put an old rake in a museum. So Im thinking of just making that side into a steel wheel. Either weld a band around the rim and bolt tread to it or maybe put clear across it.

well if it was mine i would be looking to replace those tires with steel wheels. might take some digging though. we used to have that rake on steel years ago.

another thing you can do is, take them tires off and weld some 3/16 flat bar on the inside right around the width of the rim. on the gearbox side you would need to add something for traction to prevent wheel slippage.

Take rotten tire off.

Get a length of used 4" or 5" fuel dump hose found on gas station fuel delivery trucks.
lay into rim and screw thru rim lip into hose.
A few SS hose clamps over hose and around rim for good measure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back