4 1/2 in grinding discs

37chief

What would be the a good number for a 4 1/2 grinding disk to remove metal fast? I sharpen 94 of my flail mower blades 2-3 three times each season. Holding my grinder in one hand and the blade in the other, my arm and had don't like it. If I had a good coarse grinding wheel it would go a lot faster.
Thanks, Stan

I like flap discs because they leave a better finish than a grinding disc, BUT they don't last as long as a good grinding disc. At least not for how I use them. And I use them (flap discs) for prep work in fabrication. Mostly 60 and 80 grit. Cleans scale and rust off and chamfers those v's out nicely. steve

Plus with a flap disc if you slip you might lose a little skin, or bloody a knuckle. With a grinding wheel or cut off wheel you would do a lot more damage. 60 grit for fast removal, 40 if you want to really take it off fast. The more coarse the grit, the harder it is to control too. Why not lock the grinder in a vise. Easier on the hands and wrist.

I suggest you read up on Norton Norzon Plus grinding disc. Very aggresive, expensive, long life. Probably available from industrial or welding supplier. I prefer them if I have to move metal however they take power, I use a Milwauke 4 1/2 inch not a bargin counter 19.95 special.

What would be the a good number for a 4 1/2 grinding disk to remove metal fast? I sharpen 94 of my flail mower blades 2-3 three times each season. Holding my grinder in one hand and the blade in the other, my arm and had don't like it. If I had a good coarse grinding wheel it would go a lot faster.
Thanks, Stan
I welded a lifting eye on one side of my brushhog and pick it up with my loader tractor until starts leaning the opposite direction away from me .if it would somehow come unhooked it will fall away from me.

For safety and better control, clamp the mower blade in a vise and control the grinder with two hands. My preference is a 40 grit flap disc.

Thanks, Stan
I buy a box, 24, of cutoff disks and grinding disks when RK has a sale on Stanley disks.
The sale price was a buck. New two bucks.
It has been a long time since I bought disks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back