400 Gas Compression Test

SouthIL400

Here are the numbers from my compression test. 1956 400 gas Round Nose. The engine was warm, around 130 - 140. Spark plugs were put in new last April.
Please, look at the photos and let me know what you think about the results and the plugs. I welcome any and all comments. I am learning as I go along.
Thank You!
cvphoto148001.jpg

cvphoto148002.jpg

cvphoto148003.jpg

I do not know how many hours you have on those plugs but white porcelain like that indicates lean fuel mixture, I would set the high speed needle till you get a tan color porcelain. The lean mix causes extremely high cylinder temperatures. While you are inside it would check the Ignition timing as a retarded spark timing can cause extreme heat also. I would not be surprised that you may have had kickback and "running on" when trying to shut the engine down hot.

looks more like your running on propane than gas. never saw plugs that white running on gas. amount of hrs would be more helpful that months, as maybe u only started the tractor 2 times. that is really odd. even to start the tractor it takes some choke and would have them plugs turned color. do you work this tractor or a yard tractor? or have you cleaned them?

Thanks MEl,
Those plugs only have less than 40 hours of very light work if that on them. The tractor starts and runs really well, with no problems at all. No run-on or kicking at all. The only thing I notice engine-wise is, at idle it will pop through the muffler. So much so that I removed the rain cap because I couldn't take the constant banging. I'm the third owner of this tractor and as far as I know, only the farmer who bought it new farmed with it. The second fellow only had 20 acres and played farmer with it for 20 or so years. I plan on doing even less than he did with it. I appreciate you and your experience, thanks for sharing.

Rusted, less than 40 hours of parades and people mover duty, and some road miles, and maybe 5 hours of light tillage. I appreciate you, thanks.

The reason, I'm trying to dig into this tractor is I want to try it tractor pulling this year. Offhand, I guess it will weigh in at around 6400 lbs. So far I have decent compression and lean plugs. Thanks, everyone.

Ahhh,nice clean plugs! but that must be original pistons in it, maybe even cast iron ones, i would want more compression that that for pulling, or can you spin the tires in 1st gear? I would want140-145 lbs of compression. very few 4 cylinders tractor will hold the weather cap steady at a slow idle.

Make sure when you do the compression test the throttle is wide open. The 400 is a great tractor but you will be under powered even in the lightest class, unless you are stone boat pulling, or pulling in a very slow speed limit class.

EP, Thanks for the comment. These numbers were at half throttle. As I didn't know it would make a difference. Also, I know I would be competitive pulling. I just want to have some fun this summer. Rules state 3.5 MPH and 18 drawbar height.
Thanks again

Fastfarmall, thank you for the feedback. I don't have several thousand dollars to make a pulling tractor. I just want to have some summer fun with the first and only tractor I ever owned. As for speed, 1st gear is 1.3mph. the rules say 3.5mph for this class. Is it better to use a lower gear than a higher gear and go faster? I don't need to win, I only want to enjoy this. Thanks again

Thanks for the reply..I am open to any and all tips! It's my first and only tractor, I don't farm, I just like this tractor and don't want to break it. Got to start somewhere, I learn something about it every day.

You have the right attitude for having fun with tractor pulling. If your motor is in decent shape you should be able to still spin the tires in 2nd low gear. You want to pull in the highest gear you can without stalling. This will probably take a few runs to determine. Make certain your drawbar is up as high as the rules will allow. That will allow as much weight transfer onto the back wheels as possible. Good Luck!

Thank you, Don
I'm trying, I was pleased with the compression all the cylinders are nearly the same. Oil and coolant levels never change, and oil stays clean looking. I'm going to try and adjust the carb. Hard to get it right without a way to put it under load. But I will try anyhow. Always starts and runs well, I don't want to ever lose that. Someday I'd like to find a plow to play with too. But for now, I really like how this tractor looks and runs. If it moves the sled this year, that's a win for me.
I will take any and all tractor pulling tips and tricks anyone has for me!
Thank you!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back