4000 dry air cleaner?

I was at a salvage yard in MN and came across this 4000 gasser. Never been around the gasser, so this air cleaner set-up was new to me. I thought the dry element in front of the fuel tank came about with the X600 series. Anyone got some history to share?
cvphoto88606.jpg


cvphoto88607.jpg
 
(quoted from post at 22:33:59 05/16/21) Any benefit to converting an oil bath diesel to a dry element?

What model tractor? They switched the diesels to a dry filter in later years, but you would need to modify things to make one fit
 
Normal for a 3 cylinder gasser.
From 65 through 83 they all used that type of air cleaner.
Shuan, good eye.
Yes, it's a 4200.
I have that same left side gas hood here if anyone is interested. It is nearly perfect.
I changed my 4200 to diesel and found the correct hood for it. They are longer than the AP models.

cvphoto88639.jpg
 
So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?
 
(quoted from post at 11:38:52 05/17/21) So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

I don't know, but I am curious if you are asking because you already know the answer and are just trying to test us, or if you really don't know yourself.

I think I've mentioned my '73 4000 a few times. It had a gasoline engine from the factory, but it has an oil bath air filter like the diesels had. All of the numbers on all of the components match the sticker under the hood, so as far as I can tell it came that way from the factory. It started life as a state highway mower so it was part of a fleet purchase, and I know those large fleet buyers could order all kinds of non-standard things, so I'm guessing someone in that state highway department thought that oil bath air filters were better than paper ones too.
 
(quoted from post at 11:29:56 05/17/21)
(quoted from post at 11:38:52 05/17/21) So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

I don't know, but I am curious if you are asking because you already know the answer and are just trying to test us, or if you really don't know yourself.

I think I've mentioned my '73 4000 a few times. It had a gasoline engine from the factory, but it has an oil bath air filter like the diesels had. All of the numbers on all of the components match the sticker under the hood, so as far as I can tell it came that way from the factory. It started life as a state highway mower so it was part of a fleet purchase, and I know those large fleet buyers could order all kinds of non-standard things, so I'm guessing someone in that state highway department thought that oil bath air filters were better than paper ones too.

I'd like to know. I have access to most all the parts to convert if there was a good reason to convert my 3 cyl diesel.
 
(quoted from post at 14:52:10 05/17/21)
(quoted from post at 11:29:56 05/17/21)
(quoted from post at 11:38:52 05/17/21) So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

I don't know, but I am curious if you are asking because you already know the answer and are just trying to test us, or if you really don't know yourself.

I think I've mentioned my '73 4000 a few times. It had a gasoline engine from the factory, but it has an oil bath air filter like the diesels had. All of the numbers on all of the components match the sticker under the hood, so as far as I can tell it came that way from the factory. It started life as a state highway mower so it was part of a fleet purchase, and I know those large fleet buyers could order all kinds of non-standard things, so I'm guessing someone in that state highway department thought that oil bath air filters were better than paper ones too.

I'd like to know. I have access to most all the parts to convert if there was a good reason to convert my 3 cyl diesel.

I would guess to convert a diesel to the paper style filter it might be easier to use the nose cone off of a 3400, 3500, 3550, or 4400, as those came from the factory with the paper cartridge style air filter in the right side of the nose on the diesel models.
 
(quoted from post at 15:08:40 05/17/21) I honestly don't know myself. It's just that the discussion caused me to ponder why the difference between gas and diesel.

As I just noted in my reply to root, they did user the dry paper cartridge style air filters on the diesel industrial models, (3400, 3500, 3550 and 4400), and I would think that those were designed for dustier environments than the ag chassis 3 cylinder models.
 
I posted them on here several years ago back when photobucket was still friendly, but the links to the photos in that old thread no longer work. I'll see if I can dig up those old pictures and post them back here.
 
Ultradog, I found those old pictures. Here you gou

Here's a picture of the front of the tractor with the grill removed showing the oil bath canister:

mvphoto75521.jpg


Here's one showing the other side of the tin above the radiator where the tube goes through and connects to a 90 degree elbow that angles toward the right side of the valve cover:

mvphoto75522.jpg


This one shows the second 90 degree turn at the valve cover showing the tube going rearward between the battery tray and the valve cover:

mvphoto75523.jpg


This one shows the bend going downward at the rear of the battery tray going by the same notch that the tube from the dry filter goes down through:

mvphoto75524.jpg


This last one shows the final bend to turn forward toward the rear of the carb:

mvphoto75526.jpg
 
(quoted from post at 20:19:31 05/18/21)
That's interesting, I'd never seen a oil bath air cleaner setup for a gas engine before.

As far as I can tell, it came that way from the factory. It was originally part of a fleet purchase for a state highway department. It had a frame for a side mounted arm for a mower plus a 5 foot rotary mower on the 3 point hitch. The side mower was long gone when I got the tractor but the frame was still there.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top