4000 hydraulic leak

Mark6005

Member
Finishing up a little brush hogging with my 64 4000 noticed I was leaking hydraulic fluid from up below the gage cluster under the hood running down both sides. Any ideas? Too hot to check out and little room up there. Loose line bad gasket? Any thoughts appreciated
 
Though it could be engine oil from a leaking oil pressure gage line, it"s most likely power steering oil due to a failed seal in the control valve.

Dean
 
By the color it"s hydraulic fluid. My fluid needs changed a few years old so it sort of dark whitish color. It"s coming from a block below the steering wheel under the hood that has 2 lines connected to it. Never had an issue with this tractor before so I"m not really familiar with every part on it. Is that a pump?
 
As I said, it's power steering oil.

The "block" is the power steering control valve.

Dean
 
I've had fatigue cracks develop in the hydraulic lines where they connect to the power steering control valve. Causes leaks traceable to the connection. These are double flared connections. If this is your case, you will need to get a double flaring tool kit. Cut off as little as possible and re-flare the line. This fix lasts a long time (many years).
 
Thanks guys my plan is to clean around the area and run it to detect the leak. Seems it might not be as bad as I first thought
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top