4000 Powershift

bv

Are the 4020 and 4000 power shift transmissions the same? I just bought a 4000 that needs some tweaking like when you shift to 8th it kinda hesitates and binds before it shifts into gear also when driving the tractor and turning either direction the front tires want to slide almost like the rear end is locked together but you can apply the brake pedal and it turns right around no problem. This is a 4000 row crop utility diesel 72 model 1 of 25 made and I would like to fix it if it doesnt cost a arm and a leg, so any thoughts?

Also I noticed the cable on the park pawl arm is unhooked because the hole on the park pawl is missing so what will this cause the transmission to do?

Is this tractor to be a user or are you a collector? If you need a user tractor the tractor you have is very valuable even with the problems it has. Trade it to a collector for something else you like in very good condition. I could see a collector offering to trade you a super nice 4040 or 4240 with a cab for what you have. Or maybe a good 6400-6410. Just my thoughts. Tom

There are the same I have been told. Some say the rear end is different but if you look where the axle goes through the rear end it is 3 3/8 like a 4020 but machined down to 3 1/8 outside rear end. I do not know if that is a 1972 year only or if all 4000 were that way. It sounds like your parking pawl might be busted. If they get put in gear and they do not release they can bust. I have a 72 powershift myself but not a low profile.

The 4000 PS transmission is a late 4020 transmission. Parts book don't lie and are same book. The final drives and axle shafts are unique because of axles and bearings.

I am assuming you have a low profile 4000 power shift with production of 25.The syngro low pro is also low production with 21 made.They were unique with smaller castings under slung exhaust and wide front was turned around witch should make it turn shorter. The power shift is the same but expensive to fix.Tom had the best idea getting something better with no problems if you are not into collecting. That tractor as is would sell well at Mechums even with them getting 10%

What do you consider an arm and a leg? With over $100/hr shop rates I doubt that you could open up a power shift transmission for less than $5,000 in labor without any parts. If you are a collector, that is a drop in the bucket. If you intend to use the tractor, I agree with not fixing it and instead flipping it as-is for something more modern and less expensive.

The problems could be sticking valves in the shift body, but it will take some diagnostics to determine that. It would not be something to mess with if you don't know what you are doing.

Please post some pictures, it sounds like an unusual tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back