4000 Shifting problem

When I try to shift gears it grinds like crazy (yes I was pushing the clutch down). Sometime idling the engine back will make it grind less but it still grinds.

What would cause it?
 
Sounds like your clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel.
There's not an easy way to fix it save for splitting the tractor.
Some folks have gotten them unstuck by getting the engine good and warm then dumping the clutch in high gear. Afterwards they blocked the pedal down when not in use.
As often as not a clutch will stick from getting gummed up from a leaking rear seal.
 
Let me throw one more in the mix. My 640 was doing the same thing until I blew the clutch hub. Real problem was the shaft that surrounds the input shaft and where the throw out bearing rides. It was broken. The area where the bearing slides back and forth was gone!
Learned a lot from these guys, but I guess the only real way is to:
1. Pull the steering box so you can see.
2. Split it and really get a good look.
Like I said, these guys (and gals if any) are a great help, but it's hard to pinpoint some of these problems without an eyeball on them.
 
Sounds to me like your clutch has worn out.If you can"t adjust it to engage,then a split of the tractor is in order.A new clutch disc,pressure plate and pilot and release bearing"s are probaly required.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top