401B industrial oil leak under steering wheel

37 chief

I have oil leak from my upper steering shaft, not bad, but a leak. My manual shows the whole steering assembly being removed. Is this the only way to replace a leaking seal? Is this a major job, if I ending up taking the whole shaf assembly off? Thanks stan

The top seal doesn't leak unless the bottom seal has failed. Yes it all has to come out. I would suggest contacting Tim about rebuilding it for you. It takes a special gauge to set the valves if if my memory hasn't failed.

The 401B uses the steering valve similar to Dubuque/Mannheim tractors. The steering shaft and valve can be removed to replace the 6 o rings in the steering column

Ditto what Tech 7 stated BUT if it was my tractor I remove steering wheel & top adjusting nut & replace seal(T22260) for a test. Be sure to re-install adjustment nut the same exact rounds as this sets pre-load on steering valves. Those 6 large o-rings in housing can be replaced from the top but replacement isn't very easy to get them in correct lands.

These are not that hard to reseal just order a seal kit but also order the 6 orings and have a long pick to remove and replace those oring in the housing

Tech 7
Will you please email me? How close do you live to Saskatchewan? I've been in contact with a lady from there that's needs some JD hyd valve(scv) repair.
Thanks, Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back