4020 clutch replacement

Wildcatbob

New User
Just got my 4020 pushed back together after complete clutch replacement. Lacks 7/8 “ from closing gap. We used longer bolts to get better alignment, got battery hooked up so we could turn to no avail. Think the Pilot wont drop in hole. Used alignment tool, this isn’t my first time but frustrated
 
One trick I learned from an old timer was put the shifter in 8th gear and roll the rear end toward the front half. However this only works if the rear end is supported by a movable splitting stand.

Another thing to try (maybe you've already done this) is turn the pto shaft while trying to bring the halves together.

When bringing tractor halves together I use a ratchet strap to keep a little bit of tension on the two halves. Then once close enough use a longer bolt like you've done but keep the bolt backed out a 1/4" or so from the main case. Then use a prybar between the head of the bolt and the main case to help bring the halves together while turning the engine over by hand. If the gap on both sides is not equal use the prybar trick on whichever side has the largest gap.
 
Glad to hear. Sometimes just walking away from it is what makes the difference.

Funny story involving Murphy's Law comes to mind. I remember when I was in college me and a few other guys were putting a 7140 Case Magnum back together and we were fighting the same scenario as you. One of the guys got the bright idea of "let's have someone stick their hand in-between the two halves then it'll go together ". Sure enough when the one guy put his hand in the line of fire the two halves started coming together! Thankfully the guy didn't get his hand smashed! Obviously I don't recommend this method!
 
Sometimes carefully combing those two. I just did a 3020 that looked all lined up except that last thumb widths of the pilot bearing. Then everything got too tight you can snug a bolt a little but you don't want to go cranking on it like final torque. Back bolts off a bit. Used PTO Shaft at that point rotate it and it will usually go in sometimes if you do half a turn is better than just moving a bit, Tapering the PTO Clutch shaft is a trick I've heard of doing but in reality it seems to be this point that is the struggle regardless if I do that or not so lately I haven't. Glad you got it!!!!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top