4020 Crankshaft Pulley Removal

mtb34

I need to replace the front seal on my 4020 diesel.

Any tips on how to stop the crankshaft from turning so I can get the pulley bolt loosened?

Also, for the hydraulic coupler screws that need to be removed for the puller, are they normal thread?

I can fit a 1/4 drive in them but they aren't budging and I don't want to snap it off.

I guess I could get a pipe wrench on them? Torqueing on them also causes the crank to turn.

Thanks for any help.

I need to replace the front seal on my 4020 diesel.

Any tips on how to stop the crankshaft from turning so I can get the pulley bolt loosened?

Also, for the hydraulic coupler screws that need to be removed for the puller, are they normal thread?

I can fit a 1/4 drive in them but they aren't budging and I don't want to snap it off.

I guess I could get a pipe wrench on them? Torqueing on them also causes the crank to turn.

Thanks for any help.
One easy and safe way to hold the crankshaft from turning is to have a helper hold it using a pry bar to catch the starter ring gear through the timing port.

As to the pump drive studs, they are standard, RH thread, and likely were installed with Loctite.

Pump drive studs?? You need to put some heat on the two studs to release the sealer.. Heat the outside of the thread end to release ..

Got the pulley bolt loosened today.

I put the curved end of a tire iron against one of the hydraulic coupler screws and had my "assistant" put downward force on it while I loosened the bolt. It came out pretty easy. Not sure what the torque on it is. Will check my service manual.

Hydraulic coupler screws .... 1 came out with a 1/4 to 3/8 ratchet adapter ... the adapter broke off in the other screw so I took a pipe wrench to it.

Probably just use pipe wrench in the future. Better grip, more torque, and it didn't damage the screw surface that much. Nothing that couldn't be polished out.

If the screw is gonna break, its gonna break. I bet that sucks.

Now for the pulley.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Got the pulley bolt loosened today.

I put the curved end of a tire iron against one of the hydraulic coupler screws and had my "assistant" put downward force on it while I loosened the bolt. It came out pretty easy. Not sure what the torque on it is. Will check my service manual.

Hydraulic coupler screws .... 1 came out with a 1/4 to 3/8 ratchet adapter ... the adapter broke off in the other screw so I took a pipe wrench to it.

Probably just use pipe wrench in the future. Better grip, more torque, and it didn't damage the screw surface that much. Nothing that couldn't be polished out.

If the screw is gonna break, its gonna break. I bet that sucks.

Now for the pulley.

Thanks for the suggestions.
screw the bolt back in some and use a T bar puller. tap the pulley with a lead or brass hammer while tighting the puller

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back