4020 PTO noise under load

farmerben

hi everyone,
I'm using my 4020 to make hay this summer and have some concerns about a noise I'm hearing while baling. when under load with my nh 566 and the PTO engaged there's an intermittent grinding/vibration that seems like it's coming from under the floor. doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all, but I don't hear it when running my mower conditioner (arguably less strain) new drive/PTO clutch last year, used it all winter on my snowblower.
should I be concerned? what would you all check?
thanks!
ben

If your tractor has Syncro-range trans it's possible the noise you're hearing is the pto engagement brg that presses against the pressure plate fingers. Have you been regularly greasing this brg?

(quoted from post at 03:29:14 08/05/20)
If your tractor has Syncro-range trans it's possible the noise you're hearing is the pto engagement brg that presses against the pressure plate fingers. Have you been regularly greasing this brg?

as usual my visits here have expanded my education... I didn't know about this grease point. I did some checking online to see what you were talking about, is the zerk on the left side below the clutch pedal? hopefully I haven't wrecked something...

No. The clutch and PTO clutch throw out bearings have grease fitting up inside the clutch housing. You
get to them up thru the access panel underneath. When greasing the PTO I believe someone needs to
depress the clutch pedal to see that one. Use the best grease you can buy. You just reminded me to go
grease mine soon. Photo of my 4010. Same set up. Thanks.
cvphoto52658.jpg

I found this one, even says "PTO" next to it. I greased it, but not really sure how much to apply, I read somewhere not to exceed three pumps, but what if I've been neglecting it? and how often does it need to be done? I think I need to buy the service manual for this poor tractor to preserve it more unintentional mistreatment!

ben

I wanted to update this post for any other "newbies" who might have been searching for solutions to similar noise. This summer when my tractor was down and out I had to borrow a neighbor's 806 to hay. Guess what? Same darn noise when running the baler. I still can't quite tell where the sound is coming from, but it's clearly not the 4020. A mechanic friend thinks it might just be a slightly worn U joint in the PTO shaft- I think he's likely right.

Strange how the noise can seem to refer to such a distant area!

Thanks a heap to everyone contributing to my education :)

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back