4110 gas locked up

theruffneck

New User
So this was weird. I was mowing, my wife called so i turned it off. Finished my convo, tried to start it again, and nothing. I checked the starter, it did what starters do. I checked the oil, altho its a little low, its still on the dipstick. I just put a 3 ft breaker bar and socket on it. She didnt budge. Im thinking ill jack it up, and use the transmission to try to free it. Anything i should check before? Its a 3 cyl gas tractor, 4110.
 
Starter did what starters do??? Starters turn the engine so it will start, when you used the starter did it just clunk? I'd be removing spark plugs at the least and then use the socket/breaker bar again.
Some learn the hard way but a hydro locked engine can actually bend connecting rods if you apply enough pressure trying to turn it over. I gained experience from others failures, a lot cheaper that way.
 
The starter just clunked on me one time and it sounded like the bendix was hitting the flywheel so I turned the engine a couple degrees and sure enough, she fired right up. Must've just been in the "perfect" spot.
 
They tend to stop in the same position when you shut the key off. That eventually wears the ring gear teeth in that one position. At that point, the "perfect spot" is actually anywhere except where it normally stops. If it has the same symptoms after shutting it off multiple times in the future, you might consider replacing the ring gear, or removing the ring gear and rotating it and putting it back on..
 
It only ever did it to me once so I'm not concerned, but thought I'd mention it for the OP. Then again, with a 3 foot breaker bar, the engine should have turned extremely easy. Doesn't make any sense why it was running and a couple minutes later it's locked up. Unless the oil pump failed and the engine was almost locked up when he shut it off? Maybe he forgot to put it in neutral when he was attempting to rotate so everything was still connected? I don't know, just spitballing. Need more info, definitely a weird situation.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top