4230 Post Pounder Hydraulic Setup

Hello, I have a Munroe post driver like this: pic of driver. It's currently configured for open center hydraulics but I run it on a 4230 powershift. My local hydraulics shop said it's fine to run this way as long as oil doesn't overheat. It has 2 return hoses, one goes to SCV and the other is a large hose without a fitting on the end that I've been putting into the oil fill tube.

I want to convert this to closed center and hook the hoses up where they should be.
1. After I convert the valve block to closed center do I still need to have 2 return lines or can I plumb them together?
2. Where should the return line(s) be plumbed to?
3. Is it ok to run from SCV or would PBY be better? I have 1 PBY used for loader. Is it ok to install a 2nd PBY on the 2nd SCV?

Attached is the manufacturers instructions for converting this to closed center, and I should probably be able to figure this out myself, but I don't know what I don't know about hydraulics, and help applying this specifically to a 4230 would be of great help.

I have spent a lot of time looking through this forum and others for the answers, but there's conflicting info and the situations aren't exactly the same.

Much appreciation for all the help on these forums, I spend a lot of time reading here.
 

Attachments

If I was going to attach post pounder tom 4230 I'd convert PP valve to closed center configuration & use a PBY block to attach hoses. Install PBY block between LH scv & rockshaft housing.

If you elected to return to ported filter cover. 2nd photo is ported hyd filter cover for a 4230. T31170 ported filter cover(item 5) is $518 & spacer(item 7) is $381. That setup appears to be a good place for an oil leak.
 

Attachments

  • Annotation 2020-07-09 065153.png
    Annotation 2020-07-09 065153.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2025-06-24 142815.png
    Screenshot 2025-06-24 142815.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
If I was going to attach post pounder tom 4230 I'd convert PP valve to closed center configuration & use a PBY block to attach hoses. Install PBY block between LH scv & rockshaft housing.

If you elected to return to ported filter cover. 2nd photo is ported hyd filter cover for a 4230. T31170 ported filter cover(item 5) is $518 & spacer(item 7) is $381. That setup appears to be a good place for an oil leak.
Thank you for the response. I already have PBY on the LH SCV being used for loader. Can/Should I put a PBY on RH side for the PP or is powering from the SCV fine?

I'm not really wanting to run it to the filter housing, is the side port of the SCV a good place? Can both return lines go the side port of SCV?
 
Hello, I have a Munroe post driver like this: pic of driver. It's currently configured for open center hydraulics but I run it on a 4230 powershift. My local hydraulics shop said it's fine to run this way as long as oil doesn't overheat. It has 2 return hoses, one goes to SCV and the other is a large hose without a fitting on the end that I've been putting into the oil fill tube.

I want to convert this to closed center and hook the hoses up where they should be.
1. After I convert the valve block to closed center do I still need to have 2 return lines or can I plumb them together?
2. Where should the return line(s) be plumbed to?
3. Is it ok to run from SCV or would PBY be better? I have 1 PBY used for loader. Is it ok to install a 2nd PBY on the 2nd SCV?

Attached is the manufacturers instructions for converting this to closed center, and I should probably be able to figure this out myself, but I don't know what I don't know about hydraulics, and help applying this specifically to a 4230 would be of great help.

I have spent a lot of time looking through this forum and others for the answers, but there's conflicting info and the situations aren't exactly the same.

Much appreciation for all the help on these forums, I spend a lot of time reading here.
Yes you do need two returns. One is for everything but the pounder it can be returned to power beyond. The second needs to have 0 back pressure or the pounder will not work like it should. I would plum it in the plug to the right of the center link bracket.
 
Yes you do need two returns. One is for everything but the pounder it can be returned to power beyond. The second needs to have 0 back pressure or the pounder will not work like it should. I would plum it in the plug to the right of the center link bracket.
Thank you, just to be sure, is this the plug you’re referring to? IMG_6100.jpeg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top