'43 H lower trans seal-1 or 2?

The lower trans seal on the shaft driving the belly pump was perished. I got a new one from Case IH before tearing into it. Turns out that the old seal had a wide casing and two seals in it. My new one has a narrow casing and one seal. The diameter of the new seal where it contacts the shaft/seal retainer is correct. Did I get a wrong part, or do you now have to get two of them and put one behind the other? Room-wise that would work, but I'd rather have the original style. The schematic in the Case IH parts book shows only one seal, but was too small to see if was the double seal or the single seal style. I'm a Green Wennie in tractors and I know JD's have some seal stacks where 2 singles replace an original double. My knowledge of IH is somewhat less than Putin's honesty. Any and all advice/suggestions appreciated!!

if you go on youtube and do a search you will a guy that rebuild a h and if i remember he used two seals. With that said im doing a m now and that what i did .

They replacement seal is ..engineered..as a replacement part to the original seal. Was the original better? Probably.. it had leather for the sealing components. The thing about leather was microscopic dirt particles would embed into the material and add to the wear on the shaft as it rubbed against it. The main thing with placing a new thinner seal in there is to make sure the lip is riding on part of the shaft that is not grooved. Go ahead and put two in if you want. If you do that I would recommend smearing an 1/8 in bead of grease around the shaft before driving in the second one. This will give the outer one some lube to ride on against the shaft surface. And not so much that the whole space between them is filled. The YouTube name of the guy they are talking about is ..Ken Kizzle.. he post here as Ken Christopherson.

On my Super H I used one thin style seal on both upper and lower transmission shafts, positioning each seal so the lip was on a virgin section of each shaft. Neither has leaked a drop in 15 years and probably 500 hours since...

Thanks to you all. I'm going to try with one seal, positioned between where the two sealing lips were before. The other seals being made of leather makes sense, being as it was wartime and all. The stuff I got out was too far gone for me to tell.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back