4630 fwd, broken wheel hub

benjimr

New User
Ford 4630 fwd, right side wheel hub cracked and broke while using. Wheel is locked up when the fwd is engaged. I haven't dismantled anything yet, so unsure of internal damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this cause or repair? I haven't seen the actual hub itself available for purchase.

Your assistance is appreciated.

If the housing is broke one of the gears in the planetary
has locked up or lost teeth and grenaded and caused
the housing to break .

cvphoto152911.png

p

I don't know anything about them nor who makes the front axles for the New Holland tractors. If they are the same on the case IH models I guess I'm going to stay away from both of them. Seems like Those front ends give a lot more trouble than the other colors.

You can look around on here for a while, and get a feel for what's in there. I doubt New Holland will have much available other than seals and bearings. Ithink finding used parts will be your best bet. At least this will give you some part numbers to search for.

https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandag/tractors/agricultural/naba01agr0573cylallpurpose/3-cyl-ag-tractor-all-purpose/electrical%20systems/axle-shaft--
planetary-assemblies/cn/D3E166CC-B8BF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6/EAF6724F-E6BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6<

Housing is discontinued and so is the planetary .
Messiscks sight says they may be able to get a
planetary about 800$ if they can and you still need to
find a housing . I would try all states ag parts for used
parts

cvphoto152946.png

The front axle for your 4630 was made by Carraro in Italy
NH no longer supports parts for those axles other than what they have in inventory
Carraro axles where used in several other brands but not all parts are inter changeable
We repaired the right side hub on a 5030 5 years ago
The gears came from All States Ag Parts
A local machine shop welded and remachined the hub and spindle
The bearings and seal came from a JD dealer

The last complete used hub assembly I found was around $3000

When was the last time you checked the oil level in the hubs and center gear housing before it broke

(quoted from post at 09:23:41 04/22/23)
The front axle for your 4630 was made by Carraro in Italy
NH no longer supports parts for those axles other than what they have in inventory
Carraro axles where used in several other brands but not all parts are inter changeable
We repaired the right side hub on a 5030 5 years ago
The gears came from All States Ag Parts
A local machine shop welded and remachined the hub and spindle
The bearings and seal came from a JD dealer

The last complete used hub assembly I found was around $3000

When was the last time you checked the oil level in the hubs and center gear housing before it broke

Thanks everybody very much for your help. This sounds like it's going to be quite the exercise. The tractor dealer suggested I bring the entire axle assembly into their shop. The oil level appeared to be fine when checked not so long ago and never saw any signs of leaks. Tractor has 1300 hours on it and I put 100 of those hours onto it over about 4 years. Before I take the axle off I plan to pull the hub cover and just see what I can. The wheel is locked up. Any other assistance will be appreciated.

The oil plug had about 1/2 teaspoon of shrapnel on it. Through the ripped planetary cover I can see that the ring gear is broken and I was able to pound it back some to match it up with it's counter part. Then I lubed the inside of the planetary and let soak for awhile before applying a punch and 4lb hammer to the 2 ear tabs on the cover. About 1/32" separation between front of cover and back of cover that holds the wheel studs. Then I used the dremel to open one crack enough to allow a slide hammer hook into it and put the other hook into the oil level plug. This didn't accomplish much so I heated the outer cover with oxy/acet until almost gray and gained a bit more with the punch and chisel. Until I can see the extent of the damage I think I will have to replace seals of course and maybe bearings etc. Any other recommendations for getting this cover off? I will check the sites provided and if I can get at least a cover I may just use the cutting wheel on the grinder to cut it off, but not until I know that I can replace at least the cover. Your experienced help is appreciated.

You should be able to pull the cover and remove the gears put the cover back and refill with oil to allow the tractor to roll and drive. 4WD won't work because the diff will just try to drive the empty planetary but you can still run the tractor in 2WD if things didn't get too wrecked.

(quoted from post at 06:25:14 04/27/23)
Did you remove the two screws in the cover flange that holds the two halves together[/quo. Question :arrow: :arrow: I have a John Deere 4630 I just bought 6200 hrs on it and when I m in c range and shift from 2 to 3 it will pop out of c range and go into d range just wondering if anyone has any experience with this I m hoping an adjustment can be made or something thanks in advance

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back