49 8n front mount dist

erichoff

New User
hello is there a good diagram for the electronic dist upgrade? 12 volt conversion was done a year ago and works fine i bought the kit for dist from this site contains everything also where is a good spot for coil mounting bracket? thank you eric
 
I'm not sure I understand your question(s).

Did you get an electronic ignition kit from this site? If so, call them up & get the correct wiring diagram. You are taking a chance on letting the smoke out of it if you use a 'generic' wiring diagram.

Regarding the coil.....did you get a round coil & you plan on using that instead of the OEM square coil? If so, plenty of folks around here have converted the coil & can give you options for mounting it.
50 Tips
 
Eric.......didja know ittza 2-bolt, 15-min job to remove the 4-nipple frontmount dizzy and change the points on the kitchen table??? And fer $150 electronic ignition, I can change the points every year for 7-yrs. Unfortunately, the Pertronix instructions are written in techno-babble that shadetree mechanics don't understand. .........respectfully, the babblin' Dell
 
thanks bruce the kit came with a round coil and vague instructions luckly i have 2 dist one for electronic kit one for points i just want to make sure i dont smoke something eric
 
hey dell you can take that front mount off 7 times with a dearborn loader on it if you want its like working thru monkeybars!! eric
 
(quoted from post at 16:37:39 04/15/11) Eric.......didja know ittza 2-bolt, 15-min job to remove the 4-nipple frontmount dizzy and change the points on the kitchen table??? ........respectfully, the babblin' Dell

That is plain and simple bull crap.....

no way it can be done in 15 minutes from start to finish...
 
(quoted from post at 16:20:52 04/15/11)
(quoted from post at 16:37:39 04/15/11) Eric.......didja know ittza 2-bolt, 15-min job to remove the 4-nipple frontmount dizzy and change the points on the kitchen table??? ........respectfully, the babblin' Dell

That is plain and simple bull crap.....

no way it can be done in 15 minutes from start to finish...

Well you might actually want to run a stop watch sometime. It's probably the cold that makes it seem longer but if it ain't too far a walk to the kitchen table that's a fair time.

I hope you're not actually taking a day off work to do your points.
 
I agree, 15 minute job.

Did it last week.
Pulled the front distributor off, sat it on the work bench. Replaced and set the points, replaced condenser and had it back on.

I was thinking it was going to be a longer project but it was fast.

No big deal.
 
if no loader in the way.. it's just 2 bolts to pull the front dizzy.. from there, take it to your bench.. do the straight edge thing after putting points in..

if you have the points, gaskets, etc and tools on hand.. 15 minutes ain't too much of an exageration.


that's not allowing time for a phone call.. smoke break or cold drink. that's removing it, changing points, adjusting, and reinstalling .. no hokey pokey or hanky panky.

soundguy
soundguy
 
You will find very little help here for installing EI on your tractor. They hate EI here and consider you a pariah for changing over.
But once you get it installed and working you will likely never have to reach through those monkey bars to access your distributer again.
 
I converted my 1949 front mount 8N to a 12 volt system and E/I using a kit from this site. I think it was worth the money. You indicated below that the kit you purchsed from this site came with a round coil. You should call the parts department to discuss. You may have the wrong kit. Sounds like the kit for a side mount distributor. Once you are sure you have the correct kit Google Hobo Rosser. Go to his web page for a way to gut an old front mounted coil so you can use a round can coil. I got a real 12 volt round can coil from NAPA that has no resister needed painted on the side. As stated if you use that type of coil you do not need a resister. I mounted mine on the right side of the battery box and ran all the extra wires down the spark plug tube. That made for a clean looking job. Good luck.
 
(quoted from post at 09:13:37 04/16/11) I converted my 1949 front mount 8N to a 12 volt system and E/I using a kit from this site. I think it was worth the money. You indicated below that the kit you purchsed from this site came with a round coil. You should call the parts department to discuss. You may have the wrong kit. Sounds like the kit for a side mount distributor. Once you are sure you have the correct kit Google Hobo Rosser. Go to his web page for a way to gut an old front mounted coil so you can use a round can coil. I got a real 12 volt round can coil from NAPA that has no resister needed painted on the side. As stated if you use that type of coil you do not need a resister. I mounted mine on the right side of the battery box and ran all the extra wires down the spark plug tube. That made for a clean looking job. Good luck.
ohn, he might have bought the EXTERNAL coil kit........no hog out required.
 
Eric........ya ain't payin' attention. The point being DON'T try to change yer frontmount points with the distributor ON the engine. Yep, no doubt monkeybars will slow you down some. .......respectfully, Dell
 

I was talking to Dell and not to you... But since you asked...

He cant seem to answer a person without being disrespectful. Calling people names and acting like little kids because a person wants to run EI, 12V or whatever the question may be is pathetic sitting behind a keyboard.


I still call BS on the 15 minute change process...

Start at your tool box, get your needed tools, supplies, go to tractor, remove, r&r points, set timing at bench or kitchen table, reinstall distributor, start tractor....


Maybe a youtube video as proof would convince me...

But this childish name calling BS is ridiculous.
 
Excuse me? You say that what Dell said was BS & that's not disrespectful? What about the other 6 of us who said it wasn't? Is what we said BS as well?

I don't plan on trying to 'convince' you of anything. If you can't figure out how to do the job in 15 minutes, then anything I have to say will be wasting my time.

As to the childish name calling.....yea, telling someone that their comment was BS is pretty childish.
 
On a front mount '49 8N: service points, first time 1 1/2 hours; fourth or fifth time: 15 minutes. Just like anything...practice increases efficiency.
 
(quoted from post at 19:46:23 04/16/11) Excuse me? You say that what Dell said was BS & that's not disrespectful? What about the other 6 of us who said it wasn't? Is what we said BS as well?

I don't plan on trying to 'convince' you of anything. If you can't figure out how to do the job in 15 minutes, then anything I have to say will be wasting my time.

As to the childish name calling.....yea, telling someone that their comment was BS is pretty childish.



You appear to seek out my comments just to mess with me, makes no difference, I still call BS on it and I did not call Dell a name in doing so.

15 minutes start to finish just sounds like you all are trying to convince yourselves it is possible to justify why another man shouldn't spend his money on something you dont want him to buy cause you dont think he needs it.

Live with it, prove me wrong or move on...

I really dont give a rats butt either way, like I said I wasn't talking to you.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top