4955 won't move

JD1980

New User
I have a 4955 mfwd that lost all gears. Forward and reverse. Pulled fine with no slipping at all. Put in park and got out for a minute. Got back in put in gear and nothing. It does put a slight lug on the engine in all gears but makes no effort to move. I thought maybe the transmission disconnect lever moved somehow so I tried moving it back and forth and can't get it to move very far. Not even close to the tow position. I didnt hear any noises or feel anything abnormal. I checked linkage and all looks ok. I checked system pressure and it is 175. Have steering, brakes, pto, and arms move up and down. I suspect something is wrong inside the housing at the disconnect lever but looking for some other opinions.

You checked pressure but did you do it in all the gears if you did and it is good I would look at the clutch valve the pin or the arm can brake it would act like your foot is on the clutch.

looking where the linkage hooks to the transmission shift shaft,,be sure a roll pin did not jigger out,,letting the shift linkage move but not turning the shaft,,tuff to see it on the upper right side under the cab,, reach in with a paint stick and mark the shaft ,then cycle the shifter and be sure the shaft moves with it,,I'm thinking about simple stuff that we over look some times,,,it odd the way it stopped like it did,, the disconnect don't ever cause much trouble,, and they are usually rusted tight,, don't hammer on it you can twist the shaft and it won't be clocked right...

A good point rockcreek,,I would look for some thing relating to the last pump on the clutch pedal or shift action,,it takes several gauges to make a good test,, 4 functions are involved with each shift...I use an old 8 speed gauge set with adapters plus 2 other gauges,,takes a bit to get them all plugged in..

Check to make sure all the shift linkage is still connected. I had one with the same symptoms last fall that had one of the ball joints on a shift linkage come apart so it was not moving the arm on the shift valve.

Sorry fellas just got a chance to get back on line. Calling it a night tonight but will check those things in the morning. I did look at the linkage some but not thoroughly because I figured by lugging the engine with every shift in every gear all that was working properly but maybe not. If can't see anything obvious will give you a call Tim. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back