4th generation equipment

crsutton81

My oldest son has been having watermelons. In years past he has transplanted the plants with a hand transplanter (snap shooter), but the new has worn off having to tote the water. So..we had to dig the old 1 row Holland tractor transplanter out of retirement for him to use. I remember as a kid walking behind this thing every day when I was not in school catching the missed plants like it was yesterday. He'll be the 4th generation to use this piece of equipment. This sure makes me feel old feeling thinking about it. I do hope we can skip the hollering and profanity about the driver going to fast for the setters abilities to keep up. Lol.

cvphoto123477.jpg

cvphoto123478.jpg

My wife ordered the canopy online for him. It came from Amazon she said. It's a 48 inch wide Snoco (sp ?) brand. We made adapter brackets to bolt it to the fast hitch rockshaft bolts to attach it to the tractor.

It will be a little while longer before we plant them, but you are more than welcome Larry to come help ! We would enjoy your green thumb expertise and company. The weather forecast this morning is calling for 35 degrees tonight with patchy frost. Grrrrr. Getting late in April for this kind of weather.

No wonder there was hollering and profanity about the driver when he gets the shade and the workers dont. LOL

My neighbor's family that we swapped baccer help with for many, many years bought a new one row transplanter I'd guess about 25 years ago. It was so much nicer to drop a pin into the hitch on a tractor than having to use a 3 point hitch planter, mount the water barrel on the tractor, and attach the plumbing. If I needed my planting tractor for something else l left the barrel on until planting was finished. Those planters are still a plus for a small vegetable producer.

We had freezing temps last night.
Hot box isn't working well.
Started a few zucchini and cucumbers in our house this year.
Last year farmers were planting corn April 15.

We never had any shade on the 100 which is all we had to pull it with when it was in its heyday. There is a very fine line of traveling too fast and too slow to be able to put the plants in the clips on these rigs.

I have never seen it mounted on the tractor but we still have the one where it mounted under the back of the tractor and you jammed your fingers in the ground to set the plant. They talked like it was a not too user friendly outfit. The water barrel mounted on the side of the tractor like your talking about.

I had a one row Holland transplanter, and we planted tomatoes, peppers and Spanish onions with it for many years. I found the best tractor to pull it with was my IH W4 tractor. Very quiet running tractor at idle. And first gear seemed to be the perfect speed. The seat on a W4 puts the driver back almost over the draw bar, so the driver can easily talk with the people on the transplanter. My wife and I have wonderful memories of planting our market garden with our three little boys, the boys learned so much and enjoyed doing it.

I wonder why some Farmall 140's seem to have a faster 1st gear than others....especially the real early models with the slow steering ? All through the production of the 140, did the same gear ratio get used in the transmissions ?

All the ones I have been on seem to have the same low gear. In fact I don't notice much difference in any of the offsets from the Super As through the 140s. The 123 engines in the late SAs through the 140s may be a bit faster I have read posts,some on YT I believe, that said there was a lower first gear available specifically for vegetable production, and I have never seen one. One could change the speed a little by the tire size. I have seen all the above mentioned offset tractors with 11.2 and 12.4x24 tires on them. My SAS have 11.2s on them and the 140 has 12.4s, and that would make the 140 a little faster in each gear.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back