jd2cyl

Member
Another #5 mower question. It seems that I have seen pictures of a mounted #5 mower that the sickle bar is vertical when transporting. Is
this so or am I dreaming, if so what adjustments need to be done. Mine will not go up that far and therefor not go through the barn door
even though it is about 12 feet wide. I don't see in the old manual I have this adjustment addressed.
 
You lift it by hand and use the transport rod to hold it up. Keep your finger out of the knives and guards when you raise it if you value them. I bet your transport rod is missing.
 
As ET says keep your finger out of the guard/section area when you lift the bar or your likely to end up in the hospital with one or more missing fingers. Any time you lift a sickle bar mower bar the section bar can and will move and when it does if your fingers are in it way it will take a finger off in a heart beat.
 
(quoted from post at 11:57:40 06/29/17) As ET says keep your finger out of the guard/section area when you lift the bar or your likely to end up in the hospital with one or more missing fingers. Any time you lift a sickle bar mower bar the section bar can and will move and when it does if your fingers are in it way it will take a finger off in a heart beat.

That's a fact. My uncle got cut pretty bad raising one of those up. I've always hated trying to get that rod in and tightening the wing nut.

When using the rod I think they hold the sickle up in about a 65 degree angle if I remember right.
 
Here is a YouTube video "John Deere B / #5 Mower" that shows the bar being raised and the transport rod being put in place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5LxQEwLDyA
 
Yes, I do have the transport rod and use it. I also am aware of the dangers when lifting the bar to put the rod in place. Just like I said I would like to get the bar in a more vertical position.
 
Yes I had a neighbor that Split his finger that way,,I think about that every time I stand one up...
 
"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]It seems that I have seen pictures of a mounted #5 mower that the sickle bar is vertical when transporting.[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

Take a look at the photo below of one of our No. 5 mowers in transport position.

a164407.jpg" width="650"


"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]if so what adjustments need to be done.[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

Take a look at the first [b:654c4848f0]ANGLE MAIN FRAME[/b:654c4848f0] diagram below from the [b:654c4848f0]DIR No. 180 Harv. Wks.-4-43[/b:654c4848f0].

a164408.jpg" width="650"


Note the Latch Rod for Cutter Bar (Key 23) and Tail Nut (Key 24).



To change the position of the cutter bar to transport position, start by positioning the latch rod for easy reach parallel to the cutter bar.

Put the tail nut in your shirt pocket for easy reach.

Next, carefully raise the cutter bar with both hands.

Use the palms of both hands against the back of the cutter bar to raise the cutter bar.

Keep your fingers pointed to the back of the cutter bar away from the guards and knife.

Once the cutter bar will raise no further, hold the cutter bar with the palm of one hand and reach for the latch rod with the other hand.

Insert the threaded end of the latch rod in the hole in the cutter bar.

Continue holding the cutter bar with the palm of one hand and reach for the tail nut in your shirt pocket with the other hand.

Attach the tail nut to the latch rod.

a164409.jpg" width="650"


a164410.jpg" width="650"


Take a look at the first [b:654c4848f0]LIFTING AND TILTING LEVER[/b:654c4848f0] diagram below from the [b:654c4848f0]DIR No. 180 Harv. Wks.-4-43[/b:654c4848f0].

a164411.jpg" width="650"




Note the Lever (Key 3), Lever Plunger (Key 5), Spring Stop (Key 7), and Sector (Key 26).

Also note the notch on the back side of the sector.

After the latch rod is secured by the tail nut, grab the transport lever with your hand and pull the lever towards the back of the mower.

Pull the leaver back until the small spring stop locks in the notch on the back of the sector.

a164420.jpg" width="650"


"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]I don't see in the old manual I have this adjustment addressed.[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>"

The topic on how [b:654c4848f0]TO TRANSPORT[/b:654c4848f0] was first briefly mentioned in the [b:654c4848f0]OPERATOR'S MANUAL No. OM-H10-346[/b:654c4848f0] at the bottom of page 22.

"[i:654c4848f0]2. Raise cutter bars and secure with latch rods.[/i:654c4848f0]"

a164421.jpg" width="650"


Hope this helps.
 
Before starting to raise the bar, I always rotate the flywheel so the knife will be in its lowest position (pitman fully to the left side) when raised, just an added safety for anything that might get in between the guards.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top