'52 8N generator and 8 volt battery

Forum,
Looking at '52 8N tractor. One problem is the non functioning generator. Party said some how the generator was connected in reverse, thought it was negative ground instead of positive ground. He figures that caused the generator to fail. The glitch is it has a voltage regulator and an 8 volt battery. What are the possibilities?
About the only test I would do is to excite, polarize, the generator to see if it is working. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Check the regulator for stuck contacts and polarize the generator. See what happens.

If OK, replace the 8V battery with a 6V battery and you should be good to go.

Yes, it is possible to adjust the regulator (if good) to charge an 8V battery, but such is mostly a lost art.

I have a 51 8N with 3 wire alternator. If I had this one it would also soon have an alternator. But, that's my preference.

While doing a generator rebuild I tested the generator off the tractor per the shop manual procedure to test the coils and armature. The test is pretty easy. You might find the voltage regulator has a problem too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back