52 A live hydraulic

I have a late 52 A that has live hydraulic. Unfortunately, my "live" hydraulic seems to be "dead". I am fortunate enough to have an 801 hitch for it, but it is not usable at this time as I can get nothing to work. I took the engagement lever/control apart. The little shaft looked to be significantly worn. I was able to find one of four remaining in the country at a dealer in Indiana and $25 to UPS later, it was in my hands. However, it looks to be almost the same as the old one and since my mechanical knowledge is limited, I've not yet installed it as I am apprehensive that it will do the trick. Anyone have any suggestions?
 
Is this tractor new to you or have you had it for years? If new, what did the previous owner tell about the live hydraulics? If you've had it for awhile, did it used to work and then quit?

Have you checked the oil level in the Powr-Trol unit? It uses SAE 30 weight engine oil.

If the oil level is ok you'll need to take the pump apart and check the condition of inside parts. The parts catalog for your A is PC675. If you don't have it you can view it for free at www.jdparts.com. Take a look at key #s 30 and 33 on page 129. They are the pump clutch collar and pump drive shaft. The mating portions of these two pieces often get worn to the point where they won't stay engaged. This happens because people mistakenly engage the pump with the engine running.
 
I've owned the tractor since the early '80s. The previous owner told me nothing about anything to do with the tractor. The tractor has been in the field once since I've owned it and last fall, we started it for the first time in 30 years. After sitting that long, it only took about 20 minutes to go through the fuel system, check for spark, and step on the starter pedal, and it was running. No stuck valves and no smoke. A retired 2 cyl mechanic was in awe with how well it ran and how slow it ran (it ran on 1 cyl at low idle). It truly is a sweet running tractor. Having said all of that, I've NEVER used the hydraulic system. Who knows, it could have been bad since before I bought it.
Thanks for the tips. I know the oil level is up, but I'll have to check the other items you mentioned.
Thanks again,
Gary
 
Kent, where do you live? Is your pump rebuilt or just a takeoff of another tractor? Do you have a Phone # that I could contact you?

Thanks,
Gary
 
I will BGTH. I did not know late A's had a live hydraulic option. Dad bought 52 A from neighbor. Have to ask brother if it had live hydraulic. I only remember hauling manure with it.
 
From what I understand, my A is a very late one and I think was built with some 60 parts as I think they were running out of A parts, but still had a few As to build. It also has a sediment bowl assembly with an oil line to it. That assembly contains a diaphragm that is supposed to shut off the fuel in case of loss of oil pressure to avoid ruining the engine. At least this is what I've been told by someone who is much more knowledgeable than I (an 80 year old JD mechanic who's been turning wrenches on JDs since he was 17).
 
(quoted from post at 17:58:54 04/10/18) From what I understand, my A is a very late one and I think was built with some 60 parts as I think they were running out of A parts, but still had a few As to build. It also has a sediment bowl assembly with an oil line to it. That assembly contains a diaphragm that is supposed to shut off the fuel in case of loss of oil pressure to avoid ruining the engine. At least this is what I've been told by someone who is much more knowledgeable than I (an 80 year old JD mechanic who's been turning wrenches on JDs since he was 17).

Where is the hydraulic pump ? Is this an A or an AR ?
 
The A tractors could be retro fitted with the oil shut off sediment bowels, as well as the tachometers. John Deere had kits available to do this. The live pump kit that was available for the A's was mounted between the governor and the distributor. The parts breakdown for the pump is in the A parts book.
 
John Deere 70,
The live hyd pump the OP is asking about mounts between the governor and distributor or mag. It is definitely meant to be used with the Powr-Trol and a 3-pt hitch or remote cylinder.
 
The only 60 parts were the main brg housings that started serial # 694828 they are the non auj type one peace main. As to the bowl assy it was Up date that was made available after the 60 came out owner had to by it. it did not come on The A from the factory
 
And I will confirm that Kent only sends out EXCELLENT parts! I bought a starter for my A and it was in perfect condition!
LEN BULL
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top