52 Ford 8n Oil Pressure

Stevesup

New User
I just bought a 52 model 8n that runs great, but after warming up the oil pressure starts slowly going down from 30psi cold to almost zero. Ive replaced oil with sae 30 and new relief valve spring and plunger. This morning I installed a new oil pressure gauge.
Has anyone ever had this oil pressure problem? Could it be simple or could it be the oil pump?
Any help would be appreciated, before I go to the trouble of replacing the oil pump. I m not a mechanic, but im good with my hands.

More than likely it's the oil pump. The bushing for the drive gear wears out and they suck air instead of oil. The oil pump is cast into the front main
bearing cap. You can buy a rebuild kit. There are two sizes of oil pump gears. I think they were 9/16 or 3/4. If I'm wrong on the sizes I'm sure I'll be
corrected! Make sure you get the correct kit. A special jig and reamer is needed to install the kit. I send mine to the machine shop.

be careful with the oil pickup tube. if it gets slightly bent or misadjusted. it will hit the #3 rod cap and make a lot of noise!

Sounds like it needs a set of mains and rod bearings. My 52 runs 40 PSI hot.

cvphoto157154.jpg

Thanks for your reply, I guess I was hoping it was something simple. It has no oil leaks anywhere, but you think it could be losing oil pressure thru the main bearings and rod bushings?

Thank you for your reply, could I just order the complete oil pump? I think there is a rebuild kit and also a complete oil pump available?

The Oil pump on an 8n is the front main bearing. You cannot replace the whole thing without having the main bearings line bored. The aftermarket kits are from China and are junk. The gears are a few thousands too short and they will not pick up the prime. Get down on the N board and talk to the old Hokie. He rebuilds these pumps and knows all the details. Do not screw up your engine.

Hello Steve welcome to YT. A lot of guys use the ..old..
term ..board.. for the ..Discussion Forums.. or as I like
to refer to them using a more descriptive term of
..Topic Sections.. I think at one point they may have
been called ..bulletin boards.. Anyway, when the
suggestion was made to ..get down on the N board..
that means to posts your topic on the ..9N, 2N, 8N
topic section.. where all things about these
..cantankerous.. little Fords are discussed. See link.
Not sure if you are aware YT has many different topic
sections, including one for each major tractor
manufacturer. To view them depending what ..View..
you are in if you use the ..Jump to.. or ..Hop to.. drop
down box seen below when viewing your post you can
navigate to those topic sections. Clicking in them will
bring up the ..Topic section.. list for you to choose
from. There are other ways to navigate to the other
topic sections. If you hang around here long enough
you will figure them out. This method seems to me to
be the easiest to explain.
9N, 2N & 8N topic section

(quoted from post at 15:52:00 06/25/23) Hello Steve welcome to YT. A lot of guys use the ..old..
term ..board.. for the ..Discussion Forums.. or as I like
to refer to them using a more descriptive term of
..Topic Sections.. I think at one point they may have
been called ..bulletin boards.. Anyway, when the
suggestion was made to ..get down on the N board..
that means to posts your topic on the ..9N, 2N, 8N
topic section.. where all things about these
..cantankerous.. little Fords are discussed. See link.
Not sure if you are aware YT has many different topic
sections, including one for each major tractor
manufacturer. To view them depending what ..View..
you are in if you use the ..Jump to.. or ..Hop to.. drop
down box seen below when viewing your post you can
navigate to those topic sections. Clicking in them will
bring up the ..Topic section.. list for you to choose
from. There are other ways to navigate to the other
topic sections. If you hang around here long enough
you will figure them out. This method seems to me to
be the easiest to explain.
9N, 2N & 8N topic section

Actually, it looks like you are the only one who is referring to the forums as "topic sections". When you open the site, the top category is "market place", and under that is "community". Under community you find the "discussion forums". There are a total of 33 forums, but only the first seven come under the heading of "discussion topics". You are posting in and referring new posters to more than just the top seven.

Actually more likely main bearings, Mains will not make noise when bad, rod will clatter heavy and eventually send a rod out of block, main will not do that. Years ago bought a Ferguson TO30, had the exact same problem you are having. Was main bearing, think back bearing but to longer to rembember for sure Just know they had to be ground to .040 under. Pull pan and check mains. Do not think oil pump.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back