520 slips pulling heavy load

My Deere 520 just started slipping when I drag a huge log. 3rd gear much worse than 1st gear.
It does get the log out of the woods but it's a lot slower process.
If I stop pulling heavy loads should I get a few more years use without a major repair?
 
Remove the clutch cover, remove 3 cotter pins, and tighten the nuts, one flat at a time checking the clutch snap in, after each adjustment. Replace cotter pins and the clutch cover
 
In addition to what rmcky said, while you're adjusting the nuts, make sure all three of the bolts are moving freely the same amount as you engage and disengage the clutch. I've had one of the bolts stick which resulted in making it impossible to get the clutch adjusted correctly
 
Your clutch needs adjusting. Go to your owners manual for instructions on how to do it. It is page 77. While you have the clutch cover off take an air hose and blow all of the dust out of the clutch. Just wear a mask while doing so.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top