What keeps the clutch engaged? No matter how I try to adjust the clutch I can"t get it to stay engaged. If I tighten the nuts more it won"t engage. There is a snap when you disengage, but not when you engage. I cleaned all componants but its still not better. Are the springs on the pressure plate weak leading to this problem?
 
John:

The clutch stays engaged when the clutch lever is pushed forward, which rotates the clutch yoke shaft, so that the yoke pulls on the operating sleeve, which slides back and pushes the dogs against the toggles, which rotate like bellcranks to pull on the three bolts that squeeze the entire pack together. If the lever cannot go forward far enough to rock the toggles over center, it will not stay engaged. A lot of times, the problem is that the pulley brake is set too toght, and it inhibits the lever from fully rotating the yoke. You might start by backing off the pulley brake a known amount and trying to get the clutch pack to lock in, and then go back and adjust the brake.

Do you have a service manual for your 530? I don't have mine with me, but in the 70D manual for example, there is a nice paragraph or two that describes adjusting that clutch from point one, because it can affected in a big way if the pulley brake linkage is not adjusted correctly. If you don't have a manual, and no one else responds with that informtaion, shoot me an e-mail, and I'll scan that for you when I arrive at home tomorrow. I fly all day, so it would not be until after 6 pm eastern. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you like.

Frank
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top