550 carburetor application

Hardpan

I wonder if someone could give me some insight on the carburetor I am about to try a rebuild for my Oliver 55o. The carb shows as a Zenith 14644, but my parts manual only shows a Zenith 12427 as the original option for that model. I did find one application for the 14644 on an Oliver 880 and thou Stieners was a big help the 14644 does not show anywhere for a 550. The darn thing just does not seem to fit right just jammed up against the starter. I'm not sure if its right thing to do by rebuilding this carb or should I get another unit with the correct numbers. previous owner rebuilt this one, w/o choke, it runs but pretty rough.

cvphoto117969.jpg

cvphoto117970.jpg

I had 2 550's, sold one. Both had Marvel Scheblers the almost touched the starter but didn't hit it. Are you sure that's the right carb for it?

The Zenith 12427 was an option on the 550 and is the correct carb. The Zenith 14644 which is on the tractor now is the weird one and while it works as is it needs help. I am reluctant to spend $$$ on it and then find I would have been better off going to YT for the $290 Zenith which they say fits the 550. I love redoing these old tractors and this is my first Oliver so I'd like to keep the numbers to match the original equipment. Somebody somewhere knows something about this Particular 14644 application and why it was put on the tractor.

WHOO. I found it..the Zenith 14644 was used on the Cockshutt and its application can be seen on Mike's Carb Parts which also indicates use on the 550. Also data on page 192 of Zenith's carb spec sheet. Near as I can tell from Mike's is that their repair kit K676 is not available. I wonder if the kit I bought will even be correct for this critter? Still will enjoy any thoughts you all may add to my finding. It looks like a long road for this project.

The AGCO online parts manual lists the following carburators for the 550 gas;

Marvel TSX603, TSX775, TSX811

Zenith 12427

Did you find any tags or stampings on the carb that identify it as a 12427?

I do not think that your carb is a 12427, I think it is a universal replacement Zenith.

I also think that your current arrangement is a fire hazard, the solenoid and starter lead are way to close the carb and could potentially ground the through the carb. I suggest that a minimum you sleeve the starter lead with heat shrink to reduce the chances of grounding through the carb.

Good luck
Rich

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back