5525 Transmission problems

Destroked 450

A neighbor has a 5525 with 9 spd Sync Shuddle transmission that hangs up in 1st gear, doesn't matter what range it's in.
He says it shifts into 1st with no issues but is nearly impossible to shift it back out
Local JD dealer tells him the tractor isn't worth fixing and quoted him nearly $19k in parts and labor to repair, $10k is for labor
He's asked me to help him work on it in his shop but I have no experience with this model or transmission design.
The tractors I own and maintain are a different color and the green tractors I have worked on were older 70's thru early 90's models, most of that was engine, fuel system, hydraulics and clutch work

Anyone familiar with this model and transmission that could tell me what the issue could be and how much work is involved to repair it
Tractor is 2wd but is a cab model

My guess is a synchronizer has failed. Shifting problem could be as simple as sticking shifter rail detent. It's difficult to comprehend $10K labor & $9K parts will be required to repair this trans.

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 11/10/2021 at 08:30 am.

(quoted from post at 09:21:53 11/10/21) My guess is a synchronizer has failed. Shifting problem could be as simple as sticking shifter rail detent. It's difficult to comprehend $10K labor & $9K parts will be required to repair this trans.

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 11/10/2021 at 08:30 am.

I think I can fix that for 1K and 0.9K in labor and parts if open station.
If 5525 is not oddball, parts for the 5 series are the least expensive, because aftermarkets are available in India or other middle east countries, where those are sold a lot.
It is impressive that so called "Deere service" can quote more to fix a 9F-3R tranny than to put a new front pack on a 4960....
I guess there is only one way to make $6B profit: "Never take your customers for idiots, but never forget that they are". Must be their every day, every time moto.
Things have changed since last descendant of Mr John Deere left the company as a CEO...

Last few years that I did business with them, they had two mottoes, 'We're John Deere, we don't have to', and 'Where else are you
gonna go?'.

Thats what dealers do . When I worked for fiat cnh thats just
what you said to keep from doing a job . Some jobs by the
time you fix the problem it will cost more than buying a
different machine . Thats why I do all my own repair work

It is a cab tractor and they say the cab has to be removed, they stated it would be over 70 hours labor
Funny part is after telling him it wasn't worth fixing the service manager wanted to buy it

(quoted from post at 13:11:54 11/10/21)
It is a cab tractor and they say the cab has to be removed, they stated it would be over 70 hours labor
Funny part is after telling him it wasn't worth fixing the service manager wanted to buy it

70 hours? Like 7 10 hours day?
I bet if it takes them that long they must be charging 14 bucks an hour, because they lust charge for training time, and making work those 2 crooked metric and standatd crescent wrench that they have, and cutting a tree with a haych to block the cab....

But i think 10k labour in 70hr is about $130 an hour.
I cannot see someone honest charging that puch to do simple job like fixing a 5525. But if that guy was worth that much, it should take him less than 2 full days to fix it. Max 20 hours.
Because at that rate, you have fast tools and quipement to drain and add fluids, hoist and chains to remove cabs quickly, you have the tools provided by jd to separate transmissions in a jiffy, and you have the full array of milwaukee electric tools. Well, if you do not, then they should not charge that much, and should have lany things to confess on sundays, cause love of money is a sin ...
I think if I had to have my tractor repaired at that rate, I will stay with the tractor to check if the clock is not overspeeding, and if they really work lile champions

I think a small independant repair shop might be your solution

The owner should have the factory service manual before he tears into it. See it you can read over the service procedures before you agree to help. Will the owner provide the parts or will you need to find the parts for him?

This sounds like a story that could change as tempers cool down.

(quoted from post at 10:04:59 11/11/21) The owner should have the factory service manual before he tears into it. See it you can read over the service procedures before you agree to help. Will the owner provide the parts or will you need to find the parts for him?

This sounds like a story that could change as tempers cool down.

Looks like the 5525 has a two manual set for the Technical manuals, a Diagnostic manual (TM2197) and a Repair manual (TM2187). Likely both will be needed as often some of the specs needed to go with the repair info will be in the diagnostic manual. About $500. for the two manuals at the JD Ag bookstore.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back