5610 Ford wiring harness

Anonymous-0

5610 Ford Diesel - A few years ago I had a wire burn up on my tractor. Went to the local Ford/New Holland dealer to get a wiring harness. He told me the one I needed was over $700. This is not all of the wires, there is another wire harness that is also very expensive. I just went home and cut the bad wire out and spliced in a new wire. Doesn't seem like the price is justifed. Does anyone have a logical explanation of why a wiring harness for 5610 Ford Diesel tractor is $700 plus?

same reason why the small clip of metal that fits under the rotor on the distribuitor on the 4 cyl gassers, of which you could make 2 out of the metal in a paperclip costs 8$.

soundguy

Had the same experience with a 5610. The part that was bad on mine was the part that comes off the starter and goes to the plug near the valve cover. Dealer wanted $295 for a 30 inch piece of wire. I spliced in a new piece of #10 wire, taped it good, that was about 2 years ago.
To answer your question,GREED.
Joe

Why? Because they don't sell enough to justify keeping the stuff in inventory, and the 2 a year that they do sell, that they do inventory... you're going to pay for.
It's called organized obsolence. If they make it so damn expensive that nobody wants to buy it, eventually they'll drop the part.
Logically, I don't see why you'd buy a harness when you have one bad wire. Actually, I'd make a harness for all the wires on a 5610 anyway. To take it one step further, if you go with a Delco 3 wire, internally regulated alt, you eliminate 50% of the harness on a 5610 right there at the start...

Rod

You need to modify the brackets. The lower bracket is easy. Just elongate the bolt holes until the pulley's line up. The upper bracket is more difficult... but you basically make one up to fit.
Wiring is simple. Just find the sense wire and hook it up to terminal 1, jump terminal 2 to BAT, hook the BAT lead up and unhook the plug on the regulator. It's quite simple once you've done a few and it eliminates a bunch of wiring if you happen to be doing a rewire...

Rod

NH is just plain out of their minds when it comes to pricing. I could not be a NH parts guy and have to quote prices, even over the phone.

Thanks Rod. I have a 4610 that I bought a while back and have been using on the ranch. the previous ownner drpped a battery and broke it spilling acid in the main harness connector. he tried to wire it back, unsucessfully. I think the rear harness wires were incorrectly hooked up and that"s my problem. I tried to wire it back up again but even with the wiring diagram it doesn"t work. I keep saying I"ll pull the loader and the sheet metal off and fix it but I never seem to have time. I recharge the battery after about 10 starts and don"t use it at night when I"d need lights and get along that way.

I think putting a Delco with the integral VR will make it a lot easier than the stupid set up (Lucas??) the OEM put on it. Any particular model Delco or will the 10Si do it?

Any plain old 10si...

I'd not be surprised if the Motorolla has bad slip rings, a bad regulator or even a bad battery temperature sensor. It's a complicated little bugger for all it does...

The biggest thign you need to watch with the 10si is the pulley. I find that the ones I get from napa have an 'A' series (1/2") pulley... the tractors have a 'B' (5/8") pulley. Fortunately, NAPA's have a good thick pulley... 20 minutes on a lathe at the machine shop and he can wing the tapers out to 5/8" and you're good to go... or you can search around for one with the right pulley. You might also luck out and reuse the old Motorolla pulley... but I don't think it will work. I have resued some of the Lucas pulleys tho.

Rod

- the Delco 10si is a slick way to go , just wish it would fit easier on the Blue stuff, some are just a total pain to get em on, and the big trouble seems to be the case size is just that bit bigger, always wanted to give a try with one of the newer smaller cased auto alternators and find one that would fit easier, oh well, still on the to do list
as for the wiring cost, everyone has big prices on that sort of thing it seems, pick a brand and the price will scare ya, i know all the reasons for the price being what it is, but still hurts when I see what they want.
- like someone else said, some good tools, soldering iron and wire, and either fix it or make it seems to be what I do, even those new tractors with the 100 wire bundles can be fixed for a decent price most of the time

a cs130 alt is smaller... it's excit line needs 15-45 ohms of resistance inline with it...

soundguy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back