57 Farmall 230

bsmith88

New User
Hello there,

I have recently purchased a 1957 Farmall 230. I purchased it from family member who took good care of it. But I’ve never owned anything large of equipment before and it’s a little overwhelming from the standard lawnmower. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on things to check before and after each usage or things to keep an eye out for that has had given them issues in the past.

Thank you for any advice.

Hello bsmith, welcome to YT! There is nothing that special about these old tractors. Basically keeping an eye on the fluid levels. I strongly suggest purchasing an Operators Manual, after you have read through that you will have a pretty good handle on what is needed to care for your tractor. Here is a link to the manuals YT sells for a Farmall 230. Enjoy your tractor!

Last edited:
A manual is a must have for you. Keep in mind that those manuals were written 70 years ago and many things have changed. We all use modern fluids today, oil, radiator coolant etc. When you get to that point ask us for advice. I routinely change all fluids and filters when I get a new to me tractor no matter what the previous owner says. One oddity with these tractors that you are probably not aware of is the air cleaner type. There is a cup at the bottom of the air cleaner that is held on with a thumb screw. To service the air cleaner that cup is removed and the old oil is dumped out and the cup is cleaned out with a rag. Refill the cup with engine oil to the mark on the side of the cup. Then reinstall. Rear tire pressure may be different than you think also. 12 to 15 pounds max.
Have fun with your new tractor and be careful.
Dave

Definitely get the manuals to refer to . so many helpful details .
I suggest you have an opportunity after checking all fluid s to run your tractor hard to heat it up ! Before making any costly discision on repairs or adding accessories. Check clutch slipping and brakes with hot tractor .
Brakes for the heavy loads on hills a must . Lock brake pedals in road gear . Be very careful in road gear brake spiking the brakes you will flip it. If one grabs because it’s not adjusted correctly or has a mechanical fault of oil leaks .this is very important. Safety first

Yes, the owners manuals for tractors of that era are very thorough in telling you what you need to check and how you need to check it with entertaining illustrations. My personal preference is to source an original from ebay when I can. The ones with grease marks on the pages and dog-eared corners contain the same information as the pristine ones, but can be bought for 1/2 the price.

Next best thing is a quality reprint from a reputable source. Many of the "reprints" on ebay are cheap photocopies stapled together, not worth the money.

Because I know you're going to want to "play" before the manual arrives: Most important thing is to check the engine oil. Your tractor was during the time IH transitioned to dipsticks so it may or may not have a dipstick to check the engine oil. If it does not have a dipstick, look for two valves on the side of the oil pan. For a gasoline engine the upper valve is your "FULL" level. Open the valve and if oil drizzles out, it's full.

On the chance your engine oil level is low, there's nothing special about the oil to use. Any modern 10W-something or 15W-something engine oil is fine.

Lots of moving parts, almost no safety features. Familiarize yourself with things that spin or move or go bump in the night. I mention this because you say you're not familiar with a larger machine like this.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back