57' Ferguson F40

TM1010

Just got a Ferguson F40 with the Z134 engine, which is supposed to be the same as a Massey Harris 50. I got the tractor for a fair price, but it going to need some TLC. The biggest problem is that the cam gear is all chewd up and governor shaft along with the gear was snapped off with end of the cam broken off with it. All the centrifugal balls where with the governor except for one. I pulled the oil pan off to see if there was more damage and found the missing ball near the drain plug sitting in some thick sludge about a half of an inch that had been in the pan for a long time. The ball that I found was exposed about halfway, meaning that it had been there for a while.
My question is, could the missing ball have caused a vibration enough to make the end of the cam shaft break off like that? Has anyone had this happen before on a Z134 engine?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back