570 Super rocker shaft oil leak

First I want to thank all that helped me with an earlier injection pump leak on my 570.I did manage to reseal it and it seems to have stopped the fuel from diluting the engine oil.
Now I'm onto adjusting the valves on it's Hercules 339 diesel and after I was done,I fired it up to make sure the oil is getting to the rocker shaft and arms as it should.It started and runs like a top as it always has so that's a good sign.
I am however concerned not enough oil is getting to the valve train.
As soon as enough pressure brought the oil to the top,I noticed it was gushing out from under the square block with the oiler bolt going through it on the front of the rocker shaft.I think it's called the rocker shaft support.
The one at the rear end of the shaft isn't leaking and I can see more oil going to places that it should on that end.
There is oil getting to the rocker arms where they pivot on the shaft but not much comes out the oil holes and down the hollow adjuster to the push rods.
I removed the rocker shaft and the end bolts are slotted as they should be to allow oil up and into the shaft.The shaft is installed with the oil holes on the bottom side which I thought seemed correct and are not plugged nor are the oil holes in the arms.
There isn't any washers,o-rings or seals under the square support block where it meets the hollow oil stud or under the head of the bolt.There are washers under the nuts that hold the shaft in the middle.
The engine was over hauled 200 hrs. ago and has always run great.I trust the mechanic who did the work but he may have put it back together as he found it, maybe wrong?
The heads were serviced and valves ground at the same time.
The oil pressure @ 800 rpm's is 50 psi cold and 20 psi fully warmed up. It goes back to 50 psi warm around 1200 rpm's.
The oil leaking is about the same amount as a 1/4" oil line.
I can't find any info to point me in the right direction and was hopping some of you can tell me how to proceed.
I decided not to take it apart again until I know what to look for.

To condense my above post and question- I'm not sure if oil is supposed to gush out from the front end of the rocker shaft.It appears that oil is supposed to be supplied from both ends to create enough pressure to squirt out the rocker arm oil holes.
I'll remove the shaft and find the problem if it's not correct but hate to proceed until I know how it's supposed to manage the oil.
Any input would be welcome.

TJ,
one end.
YOU are correct! Oil should NOT be gushing out of either end of your rocker rack. It sound like you have blockage somewhere. Check your both end special bolts with slots....The slots carry the oil. The one may be damaged or mis-alligned.

Phil Heisey
215-256-8651

Thanks Phil,
knowing that oil shouldn't come out at the end is all I needed to take out the shaft and find out why it does.
I'll be back in touch soon to get a couple more things to finish this project up.

until that time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back