59 841D Won't Shut Off

Larry-NEK

New User
Hi Gang,, I"ve been reading this forum every day for the last 6 years and am amazed at the knowledge base. That said, I have a strange problem. I"m doing some work on a friends 59, 841D, I fixed a leaking fuel line between the filter and pump,checked the pump timing( pulled rocker cover to verify TDC #1), pulled out Batt. box to replace frost plug in head. After adj. and resetting linkage for pump I started up the tractor ,but when I went to shut it off it did nothing, I even disconnected the linkage to be sure it pulls back all the way and nothing. Had to shut off tank valve to kill it, the pump worked fine before. Any ideas? I checked the archives and didn"t see any thing except something about a clip on the throttle shaft and that there should be some drag in the linkage at the end when it shuts the metering valve, I feel nothing with the linkage removed it feels loose all the way back. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Larry
 
By shutting off the fuel to kill the engine you are going to creat more problems. @air in the system that now will have to be bled before it will run again.

On a straight shift diesel not shutting down with the throttle is not a problem. Simply put it in the highest gear and with the throttole at idle and the brakes applied let up on the cluth and choke it down.

In fact I always do that with any straight shift diesel with the Roosamaster injection pump as that pump is prone to sticking in the shut off position if killed by closing the throttle completely and if you choke it down the throttle is never moved to complete closed.
Any time you open a line between the filter and the pump it is very important not to introduce any foreign material into the fuel line etc. It only takes a particle about the size if a knats eye to kill a Roosamaster pump. That may in fact be why the throttle is not shutting it down. You could have introduced something into the pump to interfer with the movement of the throttle internally.

Zane
 
The engine turns off by a small metal clip that pushes the metering valve closed. If the outside linkage is working, and the pump does not shut off, then the inside clip or linkage is not where it should be.

That is, unless the fuel has a lot of air in it. If full of air, it won't run correctly, and won't shut off correctly.
 
jd's and zane answers are the reason i give time and respect to them and those like them on the site. those like tree farm i totally ignore.
 
Here are some photos showing the metering valve inside the pump and what it looks like in "run" and "off" position. This is with the three-bolt top cover removed.

Different applications use different ways to push against that metering valve. Some use an electric solenoid and spring for IGN switch operated shut-off. Others, with manual linkage shut-off use a small metal clip on it that pushes the metering valve closed when you push or pull the linkage (depending on tractor).

The last image shows the little metal clip with the shut-off ear on it.

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=finger_shutoff-1.jpg" target="_blank">
finger_shutoff-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=run_position-2.jpg" target="_blank">
run_position-2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=linkage2-2.jpg" target="_blank">
linkage2-2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=shutoffclip.jpg" target="_blank">
shutoffclip.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
I was hopeful I would hear from JD, his knowledge of diesels is outstanding and with photos even better , thanks so much this is just what I'm looking for. I would like to fix this rig so it shuts off the way it's supposed to. So JD this clip that pushes on the meter valve ,is it attatched to the throttle shaft that runs tranverse to the cover? I'm not sure I see it in the photo, but I can see the two different positions of the meter valve, On in one pic and off in the other? Thanks again to everyone ,,, Larry
 
Yes, it clips to the shaft. The shaft has a groove intended for it. Just keep in mind that none of those photos are the exact pump used in the Ford. They are all for Stanadyne-Roosamaster D, DB, or DB 2 pumps and all use the same metering valve. Just the linkage can differ a little. Same basic pump design the Ford uses is also in Allis Chalmers, Case, Hercules, Oliver, Deere, IH, Chevy cars and pickups, Ford pickups, Military Humvees, etc.

That clip is "C" shaped with one ear sticking out. It just pushes onto the shaft and tension holds it there. Can be made to fall off. When clip is in place, and the throttle shaft is moved in the correct direction, that clip simply pushes that metering valve closed.

I don't have a lot of Ford specific experience, but worked on many pumps and injection systems. Mostly at a Deere dealership and pump shop. That being said, I own several Ford tractors including a 172 gas and a 172 diesesl. Just never had to pull apart the pump on my Ford and look close (yet).
 
Maybe this makes it more clear. Stanaydne/Roosamaster uses two types of manual shut-offs.

One called the single-lever shut-off with the shut-down feature built into the throttle linkage.

The other called the two-lever shut-off with one lever for shut-off only and the other for throttle.

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=doublelevershutoff.jpg" target="_blank">
doublelevershutoff.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=shutoffcam.jpg" target="_blank">
shutoffcam.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/jdemaris/?action=view&current=singlelevershutoff.jpg" target="_blank">
singlelevershutoff.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
jdemaris and others ,,, Just got back from the shop,took the cover off as shown in JD"s photos and there at the bottom was the shut off clip, mine was Vee shaped and I could see where it clipped into a groove on the shaft and it had to be rapped smartly to snap it on to the shaft ( don"t know how it popped off ,or why it chose now to do it) put it all back together and and started it up ( through all this I have not had to bleed the system at all). The old girl started well ,ran well and SHUT OFF when the throttle lever was turned up, Thank you,thank you JD! I only wish I thought to take some photos to post. Thanks again JD you are a real asset to this forum . ,,,, Larry
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top