6 to 12 volt conversion, 1951 Ford 8N (?)

tsb6

New User
My son has a 1950 Ford 8N tractor (?) serial # 325689, have no idea what model it is. I didn't notice any other letters or number preceding the serial number but may not have scraped enough gunk off to show them.
We are going to convert the tractor from a 6 volt system to 12 volt. Here is my problem which may be no problem at all. All the videos and instructions I have found so far show the old 6v generator on the right side, when sitting in the seat of the tractor, the one we have the generator is on the left side. Will this make a difference when I go to buy a conversion kit, and installing it, I wouldn't think so? I'm looking for a kit that has all the brackets, alternator with internal voltage regulator, new wiring harness, and new 12v conventional ignition coil, has a regular 6v auto type ignition coil now. Any recommendation on what kit to buy would also be appreciated.
I am a retired auto, light truck, small engine, and equipment, mechanic so know the difference between a open and box end wrench, but electrical systems was / is one of my weaknesses . Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Tom

You have a side distributor 8N and thats a good thing. Anyway the kits are different from the front mount distributor Fords. The mounting brackets for the alternator are different and also the the coils are different. I'd recommend nnalert. com for the kit. Their brackets are nicer and cleaner made then most ones you see on Amazon,Ebay etc. Then Google JMOR wiring diagram for a side distributor 8N and follow that. You should be fine.

(quoted from post at 13:45:54 01/10/21) My son has a 1950 Ford 8N tractor (?) serial # 325689, have no idea what model it is. I didn't notice any other letters or number preceding the serial number but may not have scraped enough gunk off to show them.
We are going to convert the tractor from a 6 volt system to 12 volt. Here is my problem which may be no problem at all. All the videos and instructions I have found so far show the old 6v generator on the right side, when sitting in the seat of the tractor, the one we have the generator is on the left side. Will this make a difference when I go to buy a conversion kit, and installing it, I wouldn't think so? I'm looking for a kit that has all the brackets, alternator with internal voltage regulator, new wiring harness, and new 12v conventional ignition coil, has a regular 6v auto type ignition coil now. Any recommendation on what kit to buy would also be appreciated.
I am a retired auto, light truck, small engine, and equipment, mechanic so know the difference between a open and box end wrench, but electrical systems was / is one of my weaknesses . Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Tom

The change in generator location to the LH side was at serial #263844 to accommodate the new-style distributor location.

THIS very site has the brackets for mounting the alternator.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-8N_Alternator-Base-Bracket_8NL10303.html

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-8N_Alternator-Adjustable-Arm_8NL10304.html

Its not a big deal. I just did a bit of cutting and re-welding on the stock gen mount.
cvphoto70824.jpg

There will be a <> Diamond symbol before and after the s/n and will start with '8N' BUT, don't worry about the s/n. What is important is that it is a side mount distributor. What is wrong with the 6V/POS GRN setup? Nothing wrong with 12V just curious. You need to find a copy of WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR a download it for reference. He shows all the correct ways to wire an N in both OEM 6V and in 12V switch over jobs. Many 12V jobs are done incorrectly by shadetree mechanics who "think" they know what they are doing, and thus end up with non-starting issues. No FORD manual shows a 12V job -they didn't do them back then (maybe only a few owners) they didn't need to. 12V kits are sold everywhere -as posted below. Be sure to get the correct fan belt and belt tension device. A good 12V coil will be best choice. Don't know what "6V auto type ignition coil" you are using but maybe that is part of your problem now. Whatever. Points and plugs are gapped at .025". Wiring/Firing Order 1,2,4,3 CCW. Timing set per manuals at 4° BTDC mark on flywheel thru inspection cover on housing using a timing light. I suggest you invest the "ESSEENTIAL MANUALS" if'N ya wanna be an N Owner.

FORD 8N ANGLE MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:
7KjkEJKh.jpg
8kngKEah.jpg

FORD 600 & 800 TIMING:
CFSzK52h.jpg
7Lt6l6Kh.jpg
uEHMBAkh.jpg

*NOTE: Same procedure for the late 8N only timing set at 4° BTDC.

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
qI9P22kh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

You will love the 12 volt system.
Better starting in the winter.
Cheap Delco alternator.
Cheaper batteries available anywhere.
I have 2 tractors I have converted to 12 and would convert any tractors I may get in the future.
Also don't need to mess with the voltage regulators that came with the 6 volt system.
Richard in NW SC

(quoted from post at 14:45:54 01/10/21) My son has a 1950 Ford 8N tractor (?) serial # 325689, have no idea what model it is. I didn't notice any other letters or number preceding the serial number but may not have scraped enough gunk off to show them.
Thank You
Tom

Your hosts here at YT sell a good kit. you need one for the side mount dist.
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-8N_12-Volt-Conversion-Kit-Side-Mount-Distributor_8NL10300ALT.html

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back