6 to 12 volts

You will either need an alternator in which case you will need to go to negative ground, or you will need a 12 volt generator or replace the 6 volt fields in your present generator with 12 volt fields.
 
To be honest, if you have a magneto, I would split the electrical system. I would preserve the 6 volt ignition sytem powered from the mag. This would preserve the ability to hand crank your tractor and impress friends. You could still install a 12 volt starting system and lights etc. You will need to replace the generator with an alternator. There is much debate, even on this board as to which one is best. I'll leave it at, you will need to replace your generator with an alternator. You will obviously need a 12 volt battery. In most cases, I will use the same 6 volt starter, if it is a good heavy one. Some electrical rewinding shops advertise that they will rewind 6 volt starters for 12 volts. I am not alone in continuing to use 6 volt starters in 12 volt systems. I haven't had issues resulting from it, nor has anyone I know of. It's your tractor, you make the call. As for the lights, you can replace them with 12 volt lights, or wire them in series. I would not recommend using 6 volt lights in a 12 volt system wired in parralel, though.
 
Bob Huntress... You posted: "I would preserve the 6 volt ignition sytem powered from the mag."

HOW do you figure a "mag" is a "6-Volt" ignition system????????????????

It produces it's OWN current, and is TOTALLY system voltage independant.
 
Perhaps that wasn't the best way to say it, But I think you understand what I am saying. When I was in New York, I did a conversion on an Allis B. I enjoy the hand crank when I want the old tractor experience. I skipped the ignition system and converted the starter, which was also on the tractor, and lights. I have all the parts, such as the distributor, that I could replace the Mag. with, but why? If I don't feel like hand cranking, the starter is 12 volts, as are the lights. I've read your post, and I'm pretty sure you knew what I was saying.
 
Would you prefer changing, "I would preserve the 6 volt ignition sytem powered from the mag." to read, "I would preserve the original ignition sytem powered from the mag."? I agree that your point is technically correct, though the alternative ignition components are 6 volt. I have the components that replace the magneto, which are 6 volt components, though a magneto is, I admit, a variable output.
 
When I converted my 49 B ; generator was going bad; I just went to the combine salvage and got a generator, voltage regulator and coil of of a salvage J D 45 combine. only problem was had to be running at more or less full work speed to charge, at idle not fast enough to charge. also changed lights and battery
 
Leroy put a smaller pulley on the generator and it will charge at a lower speed.

Also just for Info a magneto is completely self contained. In other words it will spark just turning it over even if off the tractor.

By the way don't touch the wrong part of the distributer when adjust the point with the switch on. Ask my Buddy about that one.

Walt
 
Which model? Most six volt JDs start well enough if a high CCA battery is used, 2/00 cables with swagged ends, the chassis return cable bolted directly to the starter's body. The engine tuned up and the charging system making 6.9 to 7.2V .
Worn fan belts, worn pulleys, voltage regulators set with too high a cut in voltage and too low charging voltage are common problems.
Sometimes it's just the operator that starts and stops the engine 5 times in five minutes to drive out of the shed, hook onto a wagon and drive through a gate. No hope of keeping either a six or twelve volt battery charged doing that.
 
I'll agree with buickanddeere, most older twins will start on 6v. We have a 1948 B that Grandpa bought new, still 6v with a mag, always starts. In fact it's never even had the generator rebuilt on it, not a real high hour tractor.
 
I had a distributor on and the generator I could not find a smaller pully for, the pully was if I remember correctly about 2-2 1/2" diameter for the combine, orignal generator pully was about 4" diameter
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top