6 volt conversion

L. Dean

New User
How much trouble would it be to convert my 12v converted 49 8n back to 6volt? It has a front mount dist. Also is it very exspensive? I don't have the original Gen.

Thanks
 
(quoted from post at 23:31:14 08/09/10) How much trouble would it be to convert my 12v converted 49 8n back to 6volt? It has a front mount dist. Also is it very exspensive? I don't have the original Gen.

Thanks
realize that you didn't ask 'why', but that your question was how much trouble & cost. So many seem to miss the question for whatever reason, puzzles me?! & proceed on some tangent. It will cost you a generator and a regulator. Depending on where you purchase, roughly $100 to 130 for a generator plus $30 for a regulator plus whatever battery you wish to purchase. If you get lucky,you can sometimes get a working generator (used) for $50 (I have in the past). Hope that actually answers the question that you asked.
 
Cost for just the gen and V.R. would be around $200-250 plus having to rewire it and of course a battery. Plus if you do not have one a 6 volt charger for it to keep it tip top when your not using it. So you can figure to switch it back wards in time it can cost up around $350 give or take a few $$. And then why??? Most are changed to 12 volts so as to keep them cheaper and easier to work on.
 
Maybe one of these modernizers will contribute their"worthless"components to you to further your madness.Since the generator,vr or cutout is archaic and thus gone the way of horse and buggies,you shouldn't have a prob getting the components cheap or free.My '41-9n is 6v pos g,and I have no probs,but I am an old fogie that still wears wingtip shoes,plaid shorts,etc.---lha
 
LD:

It depends mostly upon how patient you are.

Over the years, I've acquired several generators, VRs, and even a couple of nearly new 6V batteries free of charge from folks converting to 12V.

Patience is a virtue in cases like this.

Dean
 
Gets rid of alternator that fails because its not weather proof and cuts battery failure by 50% because of cell failure.Reduces coil failures because Dufus thought his new coil had a resistor inside.Reduces time spent fishing starter drive parts out of clutch housing.Reduces wiring burn up and alternator destruction when Dufus hooks up a booster 12v battery positive ground.The must be a good supply of 6v generators that Dufus took off good running tractors.
 
Backwards? I have two six volt machines. A "53 JUb and a "51 8N. For 59 years the old tractor has never failed to start. Starter or generator has never been rebuilt since the 70"s. (before that is lost history). I consider the Jub a modern machine. Clean, bright and tight! And of course heavy enough wire to carry the additonal (twice)amperage of 6 volts. People sometimes confuse new with better.
 
Seems like if it were wired correctly this wouldn't be a problem. Battery cell failure? And I've seen enough tractors at my place to know that just because its 6 volt doesn't mean its wired right or been maintained. People may be more likely to get the 6 volt right as all they have to do is order replacement parts. 6 or 12 volt they have to be wired right and kept in good shape.

I've also never bought the argument that there are more questions about 12 volt conversions. When was the last time someone asked how to determine if their alternator was charging? I see just as many 6 volt not charging and "how to I polarize my generator" at least the alternator doesn't need polarizing. I also own a 3 pole genny that motors but doesn't show a charge.

I've read these boards for a long time and still don't understand the resistance to going to 12 volt and/or EI by some members. Its not all about cost either, its about time spent and no front mount distributors are not easy to remove if you have a shroud installed. DO you guys fight change in every other part of your life as well? 12 volt is a better system hands down, its more robust and more tolerant of general neglect and tired motors, and its safer for the general public when it comes to jump starting. Obviously 6 volt is sufficient to run the tractor when maintained, neither works forever if neglected, who cares what each person chooses lets just help them do it right.
 
[i:654c4848f0]"DO you guys fight change in every other part of your life as well?"[/i:654c4848f0]

I think so. Their computers are all tube type and they take up as much space as a bedroom. They all still use wall mounted, hand crank phones and are still on a party line. And of course kerosine lanterns work as well as electric lights and are cheaper to boot. Why change??
 
The cost of converting back has be discussed already. Do you have experience with a 6v system? If so, a shallow learning curve; if not, then you will have to get acclimated to the variances of this system. Not hard, but it is a different animal. Another question LDean to answer is how good is your compression and motor? Is it well worn and smoking like a chimney or is it fairly tight in good shape and can start on 6v? 12v does spin the motor faster and that makes up for wear on the engine. Again, honestly how good is your motor?

Sorry if I am redundant to some answers, but once the argument broke out I kind of glazed over.
 
I'm staying out of the 6 volt 12 volt argument. I'll just say I have a working generator and VR from my 48 8N when I converted. If you are near Colorado, we can work a deal for them.

Danny
 
(quoted from post at 09:27:46 08/10/10) I'm staying out of the 6 volt 12 volt argument. I'll just say I have a working generator and VR from my 48 8N when I converted. If you are near Colorado, we can work a deal for them.

Danny
b:265447fcbf][i:265447fcbf]

Good for you Danny!!!!! Bout' time someone came out with that!!!!!

Gary 8) [/i:265447fcbf][/b:265447fcbf]
 
I have a kerosine lamp on the kitchen table and 5 gal of kerosene on hand.My Home Clarion wood burning kitchen range can cook my food when the power goes down.My muzzle loading shotgun can take down partridge and keep the crows out of the garden.I have 2 50 cal muzzle loading rifles and a 44 cap and ball revolver.I did have a handcrank phone between the house and shop for many years but now have regular phones.This is my wifes computer,I wouldnt give a dime for a dozen of them.Too many nuts on the internet, that includes you.Just finished up a picnic table.Too hot to work so I turned on the computer to see if I could bug you.
 
I tend to say what Im thinking,gets me in trouble with the teenagers on here.Or the old ones that never grew up.Why pussyfoot around,say what you think.
 
There is a bright brand new tractor, just for YOU, at the New Holland, ER make that FIAT dealer.

P.S. Still better than a Chi-Com POS......
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top