641 questions

I've had my '55 641 for 2 years now and am finally getting around to doing some maitenance. I have a few questions:

1. Did the the 641 originally come with footrests? There is a bracket on each side that looks like something like a foortrest would bolt to it:

641bracket.jpg


If so, where can I can a pair?

2. Time for an oil change--what weight oil? Will NAPA have a filter?

3. I'll also do plus and wires- NAPA?
 
OUCH! 2ys and no maintenance... poor machine!

yep.. originally had foot rests. look for some from salvage sellers like john smith or jim.ut make sure you have the brackets to mount them.. and they are not impeeded by that subframe.

the nh parts site will show you an exploded diagram, as will a master parts catalog.. and in some cases a service manual. all things you SHOULD own.

napa will have either the spin on conversion filter ( 1452 or 1515 ).. a motorcraft fl1a will fit as well as a fram ph8a or a supertech st8a all 3 are about 3-4$ filters. I like the motorcraft one myself.. since.. well.. it's a ford tractor...

or the cartridge filter. a filter that crosses to a fram ch6pl will fit the cartridge.

pick an oil based on temperatures and engine condition.

for general purpose non arctic weather for an average machine I like a 15w40 oil.. they are C rated and a slightly better product than a S rated oil.. plus.. at walmart.. a quart of 15w40 is the same money as a quart of 30w or 10w30.

I would prefer 15w40 over something like a 10w40 or 20w50 unless the engine is slap worn out.

6qts oil and filter from walmart will set you back about 15$ probably pay closer to 20$ at napa..

your call.

soundguy
 
It doesn"t make much difference but if it"s a 641 it"s not a 1955. The 601 series were sold as 1958-1962 models. If it"s a 1955 model it"s a 640.
 
NAPA #'s 1452 vs 1515....the 1515 is an "automotive" number. "Tractor" number is the 1452. At one time (probably still so at this time) these filters were mfg. by WIX.

I remember looking at the WIX specifications on these two numbers and there was some small difference...perhaps in internal bypass relief or whatever. The mounting part/base is the same and "may" have the same component # stamped on it. There IS a difference...I'm not sure just what it is after 15 years ago.

Rick
 
yep.. I prefer and reccomend the 1452 vs the 1515 even if the only diff is the 'auto' application designation...

soundguy
 
How about a few side pix,,, The loader frame and stock running boards my interfere... I have a 600 parts tractor and parted out another 600 some time back,,, one had a dozer blade and best I remember the run'n boards were not on it but will look for them...
 

Thank you all very much for the replies, info and interest in helping. I plan on doing oil change and tune-up this season--maybe flush and fill the the cooling system.

Soundguy-- it had been fully PM'd before i got it and I use it perhaps 40 hours a year. I check the fuilds regularly and replaced the battery but i have not done a tune-up or replaced fluids because of the low annual hours. I respect the machine and want it to last annother 56 years.

awhtx-- you are right --it is a 640--my mistake.

HOBO--snowing today so PIX will have to wait. depending on the size of the footrest, I can see where the FEL subframe would interfere.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top