661 = ? in blue

Beanmedic

Member
861 that I am renewing feels big. Not surprising, since I have been using a Jubilee. I would love to have a 661, but there are few around and fewer near me. Is there a blue equivalent to that size tractor (live PTO)?
 
In 1962 when they changed color the 601 became the 2000 and the 801 became the 4000.
Interesting that your 861 would seem bigger as they are basically the same size tractor though the fact that the tin is mounted higher on the 801 than it is on a Jube might make it seem larger.
 
Yea...it does seem odd that it feels larger. Was thinking maybe the overall is bigger because of the larger engine. Maybe I'm imagining things...again :D
 
The outside of the 172 engine on the 801 is the same size as the 134 engine on the Jubilee and 601. As Ultradog said, the 2000 replaced the 601 series and the 4000 replace the 801, and the thousand series were blue. They were available with all of the same options as the previous '01 series tractors in terms of transmission and PTO options. There were two different sets of 2000 and 4000 series tractors. The first ones that replaced the '01 series were made from 1962-1964 and had the same 4 cylinder engines as the previous models. In 1965 they changed over to completely new tractor designs with 3 cylinder engines and some new transmission options and made those 2000 and 4000 series models up until 1975.
 
in addition to the 801 having higher tin as UD mentioned. it's stock tire size on the rear would be 13.6-28 vs 12.4-28 for a 134ci smaller brother.

The bigger tires and a hair higher tin could / would make it look and feel bigger.

my 950 with 14.9-28 tires on it makes it feel bigger than my 740 .. even though i put 13.6-28's on her.
 
Not quite... the 5-speed with transmission PTO was
dropped. So if a 'prior' 2/4000 has a 5-speed, it
will have live PTO as well.
 
Yea...got some statistics and got my tape measure. I think part of my problem is that the clutch needed adjusting AND got to looking and found that the Rest O Ride (is that the correct name) seat is essentially collapsed. So riding with "knees in chest" and that makes it hard to reach the clutch petal, which on the live PTO 801 sits higher anyway, and makes the whole thing feel tall. Other than that, looks like weight is the biggest difference.

I'll continue to refurb her. I can watch for a 2000 if that is an upgrade. I kind of like trading up. I note the 2000 weighs less. Since I do little plowing, that may be good. Maybe use less fuel, too.

Good point on the tires. It does have 13.6 tires.

Oregon...WOW. Couldn't get much farther away. I may watch for something closer! :shock:
 
(quoted from post at 00:03:38 08/07/14)
(quoted from post at 12:33:11 08/05/14) 861 that I am renewing feels big. Not surprising, since I have been using a Jubilee. I would love to have a 661, but there are few around and fewer near me. Is there a blue equivalent to that size tractor (live PTO)?

I know you said 661, but this one has been on for a while...
Guess it depends on how far down in GA you live.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/4596036839.html

I saw it. Three hours from me, certainly a reasonable distance. But I really have grown to like the live PTO when brush hogging around trees. Power steering is a big plus though!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top