6v armature in a 12v starter

Randy G

Will a 6 volt armature work in a 12 volt starter? Working on a 1108144 12 volt starter for a 50 or 520 and the part number on the armature shows its a 6 volt starter. Is that why it spins slower than it should? I put new 12 volt coils in the starter because the old ones were grounded to the housing.

More power and higher cranking rpm which is Essential for diesels Gassers need powerful spark , the correct mixture and modest cranking rpm .

My starter guy put 12 volt fields in a 6 volt starter for a WD-45 A-C that had been converted to 12 volts. Up til then I was changing the starters for this customer every 10 months. Been very happy with the results. As far as I know he never changed the armature. If you look at what they call windings, the armature does not appear to be adjustable, voltage -wise. Started with the spring drive which kept failing, changed to the heavy duty sprag drive, with the results you see here.
cvphoto160434.jpg

The armature that was in the starter is a straight 6v armature #1867897 which is 6v only. The starter is a 12v with new 12v coils. The correct 6v/12v armature for this 1108144 starter is #822187 and can be used in a 6 or 12v starter

I bought a kit off of E-bay to convert a starter on an Allis CA from 6 volts to 12 volts. The kit was just the field coils. Replacing the armature was not needed. The 12 volt field coils have many more turns of much lighter wire lowering the amp draw of the starter. I am well satisfied.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back