70-90HP Older JD???

Group,

You guys have always been helpful on working on my B's but for the farm ( Taking over for my Father in law) I need a bit more HP. We have a 5075 E 4wd but with it's small 3
cylinder Diesel it is getting beaten to death with our Baler and plow. I want a 2nd tractor about 70-90 hp to do the heavy work and use this for the smaller jobs. I don't really
want to spend more than 10,000.00 so looking for opinions on model JD to look for and what to watch out for in terms of issues. And I know taboo for talking other colors but I am
really open to any brand. I am in western PA so really location is a big factor to me. Thanks in advance.

Well...Ill put my Mr. Obvious hat on and suggest a 4020. A properly weighted 3020 could also work out for you. While a little less common, a 4030 would work for you too. All 3 should be able to be found in decent shape in western PA / Eastern OH for your budget. I would add there are still a lot of 4010's in your area too. Good ones seem to be a little hard to find tho. But again, these will fit your budget and power range.

I would shy away from a JD 2840. JD 4020,4040 & 4040 will fit your criteria but later models might be difficult to locate for under $10K. 2630/2640 were good tractors if hyd systems were serviced correctly

Ok, Thanks for the info. As for a 4020, Should I consider the Gas version also? I have 2 in my area 1 diesel one gas about 2K more for Diesel?

The 4020 is a good choice. But if used a lot the gas ones will use a lot of gas. Price should be a lot more than 2K less than a diesel though.

One man's opinion......there is a reason the diesel is listed for $2K more than the gas! Gassers can be good for some people, perhaps in very cold climates (your area generally does not meet this criteria). Also, numerous 4020 gassers have had diesel engines transplanted in to them so I guess that says something too.

Another vote for a 4010 or 4020 diesel. A well cared for open station 4230 can be had for around 10,000 dollars. Be picky and find one that has a trail in terms of owners to establish history versus an auction castoff. Good if a 4010 or 4020 diesel already has the 12V conversion.

I have had both a JD 4020 and a IH 966 in that HP range. Both are good tractors; the 4020 will cost a little more but will also bring a little more if you decide to sell later.

3020 is 70 horsepower.
cvphoto92713.jpg

cvphoto92714.jpg

cvphoto92715.png

cvphoto92716.png

4020 will read on the 100 horsepower mark pretty easy

(quoted from post at 19:58:37 06/22/21) Could I ask what is a potential issue with the 2840? Just curious....

2840's were noted for being difficult to start engine when at operating temps & prone to hyd problems. A 2840 I sold new had pto clutch snap ring fail & ruined trans case.

I would buy a 4020 or if you spend a little more look at a 4230 or maybe a 4030. I have 2 4020's and a 4010. I would not buy a 4010 as the pto design was not as good as a 4020 even though I started farming with a 4010 and used the pto hard for many years. Do you subscribe to the Lancaster Farming newspaper? That is a great place to look for equipment in MD,PA and NY. Tom

For the money the 86 series IH 986 or 1086 are a good buy.Probably more power than you need.Minus the cab is hard to enter or exit.I buy many nice side counsel 4020s and they are all above $10K. You get what you pay for.I know of a nice 5700hour mostly original 72 4020 syngro with Hinsen cab W/O A/C that was no saled at local consignment auction at $12500 that I would buy but dont need cab and costs too much to remove and add original parts. Watched 2 above average open station 1066 that were repainted each brought right at $10K

Thanks for all the comments! I am probably going to shy away from a cab but who knows. I am open to spending up to 15K for something in really good shape, but will the wife want to Kill me????? Here is the scenario of the farm. In laws still own it, Me and my family do all the work maint etc. Bigger expenses they have helped with but I am stancing myself to have all the Equipment for the farm in my name so when the farm is split between the Bro-in-law and my wife that I still can run a farm without buying equipment from him.

(quoted from post at 17:43:19 06/23/21) How often does the balancer need replaced? How many
engines do you need ??

Balancer only needs replaced when it fails & if your 3020 engine balancer fails it won't be the 1st balancer to fail! Tractor only needs 1 operating engine. I've seen 3020 engines with holes in the block from failed rod brg.

If you need to replace a 3020 block, it can be quite the treasure hunt. And if you find one, you start to add up everything else it needs... and it gets to be pricey fast. I was faced with that decision late last winter... the 3020 was old friend, it had been run by 4 generations of family. And it had logged well over 30k hours. The block needed replacing, it would have needed an engine kit, head work, etc. While we'd done a lot to it prior, it was going to need a lot more. And when done, it was still a 3020.

Ultimately, it went to Tom, and I think he's slowly parting it out. Which is OK. He bought it, and is a good decision maker... and didn't have emotional ties.

If it was a 4020, I would have fixed it, no question. But the block (or substitute engine) would have been more common, and it could have done more things around here than the 3020.

As for the 4 generation thing, there's 3 running tractors here now that also fit that bill, a few more that don't, and one may have seen 5 generations in the seat. My dad, who is still around, but a bit challenged in the memory dept, said, YOur getting rid of the 3020??? ....good.

Ive seen lots of engines with holes in the block from failed rod
bearings . Gotta a 5.9 cummins in my driveway with a failed
rod bearing I dont think any engine is immune to catastrophic
failure

I moved that 3020 today to get to something behind it. I wonder if I will ever get it parted. Wife was like are we moving it again? I have sold some parts and used a few others. Tom

It has some things going for it... like a one owner (more or less) hydraulic system. Buying a different New Generation tractor for me has always meant more hydraulic an other issues than stuff we've owned and maintained a long, long time...

I think Jim and I agree... the 3020 is just more difficult to find parts for if it happens. They are good horses, but more challenging than many other green ones to find certain parts for.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back