73 Ford 2000 in frame overhaul help.

Kyle99

New User
Hey guys new here and need some help. Im rebuilding a tractor for my step father and its on a tight budget. By tight i mean reuse everything he can.

So heres the story. We got a 73 ford 2000 with a 1435 hrs from a trade. Tractor was in amazing shape but in short it never ran and got set up. Someone took the exhaust cap off and boom water filled engine and stuck pistons.

So starting out ive tore down the top end. Everything looks brand new under the covers. This made me mad with how this thing was treated. Anyways heres the questions.
1. There is small pitting in the engine. Im planing on honing with a deglazing hone. Any other free iedas?

2. Whats the best way to remove the pistons with out breaking them. Ie push them from the bottom or try to snake them down from the bottom. I have read all latest posts about this topic and just wanted to get a few other ideas.

Thanks for the help - kyle

The key here is "small pitting on the engine" no one here knows what this means to you. So there is very little indication of how bad it is.

By small pitting meaning i can feel it with
my finger. Maybe like a small paint chip to
a hood or if you took a ball pojnt pen and
made some dots on paper for an exampld.
They arent really deep.

Also wanted to add that I have started to
rebuild the holly 12r3589b carb and theres
a plunger on the middle section. Is the
whole plunger suposed to come out or just
the bottom half from the main housing.

(quoted from post at 08:26:11 02/28/19) By small pitting meaning i can feel it with
my finger. Maybe like a small paint chip to
a hood or if you took a ball pojnt pen and
made some dots on paper for an exampld.
They arent really deep.

Also wanted to add that I have started to
rebuild the holly 12r3589b carb and theres
a plunger on the middle section. Is the
whole plunger suposed to come out or just
the bottom half from the main housing.

Where are you seeing these pits? bearings? crankshaft? cylinder walls? camshaft?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back