730 top transmission shaft 2

fixerupper

mvphoto78849.jpg

A few weeks ago maybe a month ago I was asking you guys what the best way to fix this shaft would be. It was mentioned to get a different shaft and that is what I did. The replacement is like new. Thanks. I also ran into the problem of finding that non existent bearing on the flywheel side of that shaft. New Departure 1213A, Deere number JD8556. The retainer had come loose in this bearing and it lost three balls. I did some Google searching about this bearing and found an old post on YT that confirmed it's nonexistence. I did find a new 1213A bearing but the ID of the inner race was too big for the shaft as was confirmed in the YT post I found. In the post it was mentioned a person could find a bearing that fits the shaft but the outer diameter of the bearing would be too small. A bushing could be made for the outer diameter to make it fit the transmission housing. I took the bearing I had to the machine shop to have it bushed to make the ID correct but the machinist was worried about the snap ring on the shaft not sticking up far enough to hold both the bushing and the bearing in place. I searched for a taller snap ring to no avail. Then the machinist mentioned Audubon Tractor parts might be able to help find a used bearing. I called Audubon, he told me he would call me back. In an hour and a half he called back to tell me he had found a used bearing out of Minnesota. The bearing came and it turns smooth as silk, like new. I have to give a shout out for Audubon. He was very friendly and helpful. the transmission is back together but I have a ways to go until I get the tractor running.

Excellent news and Thank You from all of us for your followup. All too often the person seeking info disappears after receiving advice . Leaving us wondering and hoping that we had steered them in the correct direction.

X2, thanks for the follow up post. :D I feel fortunate that the used shaft I had to put in my 730 had a good bearing on it. I don't think the place I got the shaft from knew how rare these bearings are. A good bearing is probably worth more than the shaft.

I was successful with using a new bearing that was close to the correct size.Then machining a bushing on the shaft after it was pressed on the shaft
with a interference fit. As I recall the snap ring just barely extended to maybe hold the bushing in place.

It has been in service form 8 -10 years on a small hay farm with no issues.

Your lucky to find a good used bearing!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back