841 Elenco featured in in Antique Power magazine

warbaby

A really nice 841 with an Elenco kit fitted is on the cover and centerfold article in the Sept./ Oct. issue of Antique Power. A nice write
up, BUT I have one question-
On page 49 of that article is the following statement:

''...the front axle required a complete rebuild that included acquiring ring and pinion parts from surplus Ford-built Army trucks with
ELENCO axles. Ford cars, trucks and tractors shared numerous compatible and interchangeable parts.''

Say what? I always thought all the axles Elenco used were based on early Dodge ''WC'' trucks w/ 4.89:1 gears, not any Ford parts. The
featured 1959 tractor has the later version axle without a removable front cover and ''ELENCO'' cast into the gear housing, but I'm pretty
sure its still stuffed with lowly Mopar parts.

Now I'm wondering, did Elenco, or anybody else, ever use a Ford truck axle on a 4x4 tractor conversion?

Ford did have 4.86:1 and 5.00:1 gear sets for their bulletproof 9-inch axles...

I read it as a ford-built truck with an Elenco supplied rear axle, much like a ford F150 with a Dana supplied rear axle, i.e., Dana 60. I could be reading that wrong, as I really only like looking at the eye candy. But Ford has had a long history of using other manufacturers parts. Going back to Fords Model T before Chrysler had purchased the remains of the Dodge Brothers, the Dodge Brothers had supplied parts to a lot of different manufacturers including Ford. For a while they were building the engines for Ford pre WWI. If the brothers(Spanish flu) had either sold or passed on earlier, then Chrysler might have never developed Desota and/or Plymouth in 1928. As it so happened Chrysler would acquire Dodge in 1928 also. However, the Elenco axles do remind me of the early 1930s Plymouth axles. But it was the war years and anything could have happened. I would not complain if someone found a big cache of Ford-made Elenco axles parts. Never know, I read that Ford made a 427 Hemi and Chevy made a 302 Hemi as well. However, Chevy-made Elenco axles on a Ford tractor, now that would be just wrong.

OK, now thats a real nice Ford too!

My dad had an industrial version (3500) of yours. I dont think that diesel ever ran on all 3 cylinders at one time, nor did it seem to fire
the same 2 cylinders it DID run on from day-to-day...

Thanks Warbaby.

That 841 is sure sweet! There was one I saw sell at Mecum a while back that had duals front and rear.

I own a couple different brands but I'm suddenly hooked on Fords, LOL
mvphoto108901.png

Hello Warbaby , As with most magazine articles about Elencos my Company there are 99% inaccurate so dont worry about trying to make any sense of it . The brain surgeons at Hemmings wrote one just as useless with just as much nonsense in it . Thanks Tony

Hello IndFord , They are Dodge Corporate built Truck axles nothing similar in design or looks to any other Chrysler axles especially Plymouth . They started out in the WC series trucks and some VC series trucks and were used in the Civilian Flat Fender Power Wagon Trucks which by the way were NEVER used by the Military . The Military version of the Flat Fender Dodge was the M37 truck which the axles are 3 narrower than the Civilian axles . The WC series axles are 3 narrower than the M37! The flat fender and the military are the ONLY ones to use 5 lugs , most civilian used 6 lug wheels and some civilian used the 8 3/4 ring and pinions that the WC series did . The axles assembled in the Elencos were not the same as the trucks though because Elenco was buying military surplus they were able to pick and chose and use all of the Heavy Duty parts to build their axles . Thanks Tony

Hello IndFord , They are Dodge Corporate built Truck axles nothing similar in design or looks to any other Chrysler axles especially Plymouth . They started out in the WC series trucks and some VC series trucks and were used in the Civilian Flat Fender Power Wagon Trucks which by the way were NEVER used by the Military . The Military version of the Flat Fender Dodge was the M37 truck which the axles are 3 narrower than the Civilian axles . The WC series axles are 3 narrower than the M37! The flat fender and the military are the ONLY ones to use 5 lugs , most civilian used 6 lug wheels and some civilian used the 8 3/4 ring and pinions that the WC series did . The axles assembled in the Elencos were not the same as the trucks though because Elenco was buying military surplus they were able to pick and chose and use all of the Heavy Duty parts to build their axles . Thanks Tony

Hello Warbaby , As with most magazine articles about Elencos my Company there are 99% inaccurate so dont worry about trying to make any sense of it . The brain surgeons at Hemmings wrote one just as useless with just as much nonsense in it . Thanks Tony

Hello Tony...new to the forum an
20240122_155529.jpg
just acquired a 62 Ford 4000 with locking hubs on an Elenco axle an wondering if there is any data or manuals available for using, repairing, or what to look out for before putting into service.. the model is 308 an the tractor looks to be a showpiece of new parts Thank you, G

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back