lonestarjeff

Well-known Member
I've had what I thought was a stuck pto clutch for some time now. After an episode of bogging down on some very heavy mowing a couple of years ago I disengaged the pto to re-start the tractor. I haven't been able to re-engage it since, other than with no load on it.

I mention this short history because my last trip to the farm I fired up the 860, backed it out of the shed, & got lined up to back into the boxblade. When I dropped it into reverse the clutch was fine. As I approached the implement the clutch pedal went soft & the tractor kept going. The boxblade is a heavy old Servis commercial grade but somehow the 860 pushed it backward without climbing over it. The lift arms must have been low enough to go under the blade frame. It backed it up to a tree about 3 feet back then the tires started trenching.

Seemed like a long time before I found the key switch to shut it down, but it was probably only a few seconds. Had quite a time getting it out of gear after shutting it down with both tires in their trenches, but finally got it pulled into the shop.
 

It sounds like you need a clutch. Even if it is a linkage problem it is inside the case because you wouldn't be able to miss it if it came apart on the outside. Check for the head of a large cotter pin hanging part way out of a hole at the lowest point of the bell housing.
 

vyR3AgV.jpg


pMMLiWi.jpg


negsUZf.jpg
 

Jeff, if you are good at fabrication you could repair those fingers. You would also need the shop manual in order to get the clutch adjustment correct. Otherwise you need a clutch assembly and a clutch release bearing. The transmission input shaft seal is usually done at the same time. That is an unusual split procedure that you have going there. What is the lift attached to? Standard procedure is to drive wedges in on each side of the front axle pivot, and block under the oil pan. Moving the rear is easy and totally SAFE with a trailer jack bolted to the side of the rear housing through a bracket.
 

I actually would enjoy trying to save the old clutch, especially if I could find donor or new fingers somewhere. Not sure how much wear is on this clutch & have very little history on the tractor prior to my splitting it a few years ago to repair the input shaft assembly. Too bad I didn't replace the release bearing while in there. :-(

I like the trailer jack idea, but I've never gotten around to getting one. Seems like I end up using what I have on hand. The engine crane is pretty good about allowing small adjustments.
 

Before you decide to repair that assembly you should look at the explanation ina shop manual. It is involved.
 

I read through the manual & I agree, it would be difficult. I'm not having much luck so far finding any parts on the net, so the old-fashioned way looks like my only chance of finding some fingers. If I ever find some then I guess I'll cross that bridge. To get the tractor back together any time soon I will likely have to pry open the wallet for a new set.
 
Been there done that! Go ahead and replace clutch assembly ,release bearing and probably release bearing carrier. It appears that
the release bearing seized up. Its not a bad job, but time consuming
 
Forgot to mention the inspection cover was missing.....

GGNLKjAb.jpg


Not sure I ever had one or if it made any difference, but there was quite a bit of foreign material in there.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top