860 Hood Measurements

Hemmjo

Finally finishing the reassembly of my 860. Thought I was nearing the finish line. But not as close as I thought. About a year ago, I bumped a tree with the front while working in the woods. Bent the front hood emblem housing. I removed the sheet metal and got a new emblem housing, but just never got time to paint and reassemble.

Anyway, got all the parts back together. Now the grill does not fit. The bolt holes that hold grill closed are 1/2 too far apart. I am not sure where the problem is. The housing appears to be a bit too wide as the gap between the center hood door and the side panels is too wide. I got a new housing from Steiner. The part description clearly says Note: For best results, fit to tractor before painting.

I honestly did not think the fit to tractor would need to make the housing a 1/2 narrower. So I am not blaming that yet, it just appears too wide I am not sure where the real problem is. Perhaps there is more than one problem. The hood gap appears be 1/4- 3/8 too wide but I can see some distortion in the side panels. I could live with that, it is not a show tractor. The the real problem is the bolt holes in the grill are 1/2 too far apart.

It is entirely possible the side panels were bent in the incident. Perhaps I need to get some clamps and 2 x 4s together to gently squeeze the side panels closer together?

If someone would be willing to take some measurements it might help find where the problem. Here are some photos of the measurements I got. The housing is not the easiest thing to get accurate measurements from. I dont know of any 800s close by that I can measure.

cvphoto163200.png

cvphoto163201.png

cvphoto163202.png

I had the same problem on an 801 & tried the 2x4 squeeze idea. All it did was dent the sides of the hood, so I would not advise that! I then made a clamp to pull from the inside where the sides bolt to the front but that failed completely too, so I hope someone has a GOOD idea!!!

I had that problem with my 851. I made new brackets and sockets. I measured what I thought the sockets location should be and tack welded it. It was off so I ground off the tack and moved it again. It's still about 1/8 in off but it works.

Just move your sockets and weld them in.

Have you tried loosening, but not removing, all of the mounting bolts on all of the various pieces to see if you can shift things around?

Yes I have tried that loosing and sliding things around.

I am now pretty sure the left side panel is bent from the collision. When I hold the grill up, centered under the emblem housing, the left side panel is out about the distance the bolt hols are off. Now studying how to bend it back without causing more damage.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back