88 Motor Swap

super99

Whew!! Long afternoon, I'm beat!! I'll refresh you with what I'm doing. I have an 88 with a 77 motor in it. Several years ago I bought a supposed to be good motor from a kid out in Iowa but never had time to try to put it in. A couple of months ago, a friend of a friend had a good 88 motor out of a pulling tractor that he wanted $250 for, so I bought it, now I have 2 88 motors, one good and one supposed to be good. I pulled the 77 motor out and put the first motor I bought into it before I figured out that the clutch shaft would not go in far enough to catch the splines on the clutch plate. So this afternoon I pulled the motor back out and took the bell housing off and discovered that the 77 motor had a bearing for the clutch shaft and the 88 motor had a bronze bushing that was too small for the clutch shaft to fit into. So I took the flywheel off of the 77 motor and put it on the 88 motor, put the bell housing back on and got it set into the frame. There are 2 sets of holes in the 88 frame mounting slots for the motor to fit into, I don't know which ones the 77 motor was in, I didn't realize there were 2 sets until I got the 77 motor out. I tried lining up the 88 motor to the rear set and couldn't get the holes to line up, so I slid it to the front set of holes and then all of the bolts lined up. Does it make a difference which holes the motor bolts up to?? I tried to put the long shaft back in and the splines for the clutch don't want to go thru the hydraulic pump. I tried shoving on it and it stuck and I had an awful time getting it pulled back out. Will it only go back in one certain way?? I tried the different long shaft that I bought and it's the same thing. Any tricks to getting the long shaft back in?? I didn't think to take a picture of the 2 holes with the motor out, but I have a picture from the bottom side on my phone that I will post .

cvphoto79808.jpg

Picture of the holes

i will look at mine in the morning as i just installed the engine this summer and dont remember now.

There should not be two sets of holes, one set was probably added when the 77 motor was installed. If there is only one set in the front mounts, install the motor to those holes and use which ever set of holes in the rear align. If you look close, I think you be able to tell which holes are factory and which were added. Keep in mind that two of the holes should be 9/16" for engine alignment.

Stabbing the long shaft should be pretty straight forward, no tricks that I know about, twist and stab, you should feel it engage with each set of splines.

All 4 mounting pads have 2 holes each. Long shaft didn't come out that hard. Splines for the clutch plate were getting thin, I got a used replacement. I tried both shafts and the first set of splines won't go thru the hydraulic pump. I really don't want to pound on it!!!

there is only one hole in each mount and the holes are in the centre of the tractor mount. that picture you have with the bolt in mount is correct. this is my front right mount.
cvphoto79877.jpg

My supe 88 definitely only had one hole per mount. Like was said before one set of holes are snug for alignment. The long shaft sometimes takes a few tries to get the splines lined up. The front splines have to line up with the hydraulic pump and go through. I spent well over half a day one time getting it in. Just turn and shove and try again.

The correct holes should be centered in the frame mount, from your picture it looks to me like the one that has the bolt in it is the hole to use.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back