8N 12v conversion

Niley

New User
I have a 1950 Ford 8N. Decided to do the 12v conversion, bought the kit (alternator, coil, wiring harness) for a side mount distributor engine and installed. I am not a mechanic, I just followed the diagram and now the tractor wont start. Turns over as it should but wont fire up. The motor ran fine last week before the conversion. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Take a voltmeter and check the voltage at the coil with the switch on. If no voltage, you may have inadvertently disconnected power
from the switch to the coil. If power is present, and you removed spark plug wires to have more working room, check their replacement
order. Let us know your troubleshooting steps.

If you used the ignition resistor on the back of the dash for a junction as in the diagram it could be not making a circuit through the windings,check for voltage with the switch on both sides.

(quoted from post at 15:49:47 11/13/21) I have a 1950 Ford 8N. Decided to do the 12v conversion, bought the kit (alternator, coil, wiring harness) for a side mount distributor engine and installed. I am not a mechanic, I just followed the diagram and now the tractor wont start. Turns over as it should but wont fire up. The motor ran fine last week before the conversion. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(quoted from post at 19:55:42 11/15/21)
(quoted from post at 15:49:47 11/13/21) I have a 1950 Ford 8N. Decided to do the 12v conversion, bought the kit (alternator, coil, wiring harness) for a side mount distributor engine and installed. I am not a mechanic, I just followed the diagram and now the tractor wont start. Turns over as it should but wont fire up. The motor ran fine last week before the conversion. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
/quote]yes he did. I saw that, too. :)

[quNot sure how to use a forum but here goes I am having same problem as Niley 8n was working fine with 12 volt conversion but now will not crank. 12+ volts on both sides of ballast resistor 12+ volts at plus side of coil but nothing coming out of wire from coil to distributer and no spark out of coil wire to a ground on engine. tried different coils to no avail. Help!

(quoted from post at 20:04:32 11/15/21) [quNot sure how to use a forum but here goes I am having same problem as Niley 8n was working fine with 12 volt conversion but now will not crank. 12+ volts on both sides of ballast resistor 12+ volts at plus side of coil but nothing coming out of wire from coil to distributer and no spark out of coil wire to a ground on engine. tried different coils to no avail. Help!
ook at voltage on distributor side of coil while cranking. If condenser not shorted and points making & breaking circuit, the voltage should vary at rapid rate from 12 to zero and average about 4 to 8v.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back