8N Choke at idle

J. J. R.

I recently picked up a 8N side dis. It starts and runs good. But it needs half choke to idle smoothly. It has a new coil, plugs, wires
and electronic ignition. The previous owner said he installed a new carburetor. I took it apart, and yes it did look clean and new. The
fuel flow seems ok. But will not idle smoothly unless you pull the choke half way out. Adjusting the idle screw seems to have little or
no effect on it. Actually it idles the best with the small screw completely removed. Maybe junk aftermarket carb. Wish I had the
original carb to rebuild. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

J. J. R. Best to find a good used Marvel Shebler carburetor like on ebay and rebuild it.It will be much better than the cheap china carburetors out there.Or see if the guy you bought it from still has the original carb.

I was thinking the same thing. I did find a used one that looks to be in pretty good shape. I may go that way and freshen it up prior to
installing.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I experience the same problem since I bought my 8N. I got my carb rebuild by the best guy from this forum. Tractor runs great !! But like you I still have to keep the handle half way or it will die. I might check the timing next.

JJR
Make sure you have the correct carb for your application. Bought an 8N from a friend and he gave me an extra carb to boot. One carb would not open up as I thought it should. Replaced the carb with the extra and it ran more to specs. These carbs were old vintage carbs. Hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back